Link directly to a WebHelp topic... with the navigaton bar?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
bbuchko
Propeller Head

Link directly to a WebHelp topic... with the navigaton bar?

Post by bbuchko »

Within my app, we're including context-sensitive help. I know we can link directly to a topic (since it's HTML), but is there a way to link to a topic within the navigation framework? We'd like to let users search, browse, add favorites, etc, even when they open up directly to a specific topic from within the app.

Thanks!
-Bob
Bob Buchko
Technical Communicator
Corporate Trainer
Flare Noob
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Link directly to a WebHelp topic... with the navigaton bar?

Post by RamonS »

Yes, you can do that by calling the desired topic as as a reference to the help' s _csh file. Or less complicated: look in the output folder of your webhelp and you will see the file for the default topic and also a file with the same name, but "_csh" attached. When you call that file you can pass along the map ID, alias, or file name of the topic you want to have displayed. This _csh file is used as entry point and loads the framework as well as the topic that you specified. The Flare help has a topic that outlines this nicely.
You can find that topic also here in the online version of the Flare help:
http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/w ... lopers.htm

I find the URL method to be the easiest, but it all depends on personal preference and the application itself. One method may work out better than the other or vice versa.