Served WebHelp has visible marker fragments

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Served WebHelp has visible marker fragments

Post by MarinaMichaels »

My client is serving the WebHelp pages so developers can review the documentation. Unfortunately, many of the pages are displaying trailing fragments of elements, such as </ and </ht.

The trailing element fragments don't appear on every page, but when they do, they appear on those pages in both IE7 and Firefox 2.

I don't see these elements when I view the files locally.

I am using the default New Page master page that comes with the template, which I haven't touched. I've examined the pages using the internal text editor and also Dreamweaver, and I don't see anything there. I am thinking that it must be being introduced when I build the poroject. Can anyone shed light on what I need to do to fix this? Thanks!
trailing1.gif
trailing2.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Served WebHelp has visible marker fragments

Post by RamonS »

Here are a few things that I'd check
- page source: it could be that the fragments are somewhere in the source code of the compiled project, but since you wrote that they don't show when you view the output (I assume) locally it would be quite bizarre. Still, I'd locate the particular topic file in the output folder and use notepad to search for the characters that show up.
- web server: maybe the server does not send the entire page. Which server do you use?
- the master page template: maybe that got goofed up, but as for the first point since it doesn't show locally I doubt that to be the problem
- cache on the client side: clearing the cache may help, in any case it won't hurt
- cleaning the output folder and recompile
- deleting all files of the help system on the web server and put a fresh copy of everything on

If all that doesn't help I am tempted to blame it on cosmic rays that make DRAM cells flip over and change the bits just so that these weird characters show up.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

RamonS wrote:If all that doesn't help I am tempted to blame it on cosmic rays that make DRAM cells flip over and change the bits just so that these weird characters show up.
Code gnomes.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Or those, but the cosmic rays indeed cause spontaneous bit flipping in DRAM, which is why microcontrollers in space ships and probes have quite hefty error corrections in place for the DRAM. Since cosmic rays can also reach earth it is also feasible down here, which is why any real server uses ECC memory. Most desktops can use that as well, but since one can live with a crash once every 10 years or so due to that cause many save the money for the ECC option. Besides that, if that desktop runs Windows the one crash won't even be noticed among all the crashes introduced by the flaky OS.
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

Thanks for the tips!

1. I checked the source files in the compiled output and didn't see anything. And yes, locally, these element fragments don't show.
2. I will find out what the Web server is.
3. I agree, since the files are fine locally.
4. Since this showed up the very first time I viewed it in Firefox, I doubt the cache is the problem either, though I will try it.
5. I have cleaned the output folder and re-generated the files, but I won't know the results until the engineer in charge gets the new files posted.

regards,

Marina

(PS I have been meaning to ask who Simon Cowell is, but I decided to Google it instead. O.O What aspect of Simon Cowell do you like to think of yourself as?)
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

MarinaMichaels wrote:(PS I have been meaning to ask who Simon Cowell is, but I decided to Google it instead. O.O What aspect of Simon Cowell do you like to think of yourself as?)
The looks? Nah! It's about his remarks that are often blunt, but typically hit the point. He says what he thinks and often enough he is not totally wrong with that. I earned that title from MadCap support for the way I evaluate MadCap software in these forums. I just thought of it as a honor to be named that, but it was not my idea.
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

Ah, I see. *smile*

I have been voluntarily free of television service since 1996, so many cultural references pass me by.