New Vertical Skin, Great for a small Application or desktop

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

New Vertical Skin, Great for a small Application or desktop

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Here is a cool skin that will be added to the skins gallery in the future, Its a Vertical Skin, with the TOC at the Top instead of the on the Right. The Accordian Items were collapsed to zero, and the icons were created to look like the names, so you have buttons on the bottom tray instead of images

These type of skins would be great if you need your help to open in a small pane on the size of your application or screen, The H1 in the project was styled with a background to look like the skin itself. This skin was created by Mike Hamilton, Our VP Of Development, but since he alreadys works here, he won't be getting a free T-shirt.
TallSkin.jpg

Here is the download link for the skin

http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/f ... lDGray.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: New Vertical Skin, Great for a small Application or desktop

Post by RamonS »

Richard Ferrell wrote:This skin was created by Mike Hamilton, Our VP Of Development, but since he alreadys works here, he won't be getting a Free T-shirt.
LOL! :lol: Just make sure that he doesn't quit because of that.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Just goes to show how in-touch MadCap's management is with their product and customers. I can't imagine a VP at Adobe doing the same with RoboHelp. Or any of their other applications.

Keep up the good work, Mike! (Maybe you could send the T-shirt to your counterpart at RH. :P )

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Looks very nice.

Just a couple of issues with it:
- You can't see the search results, they're black text on a black background.
- If you try and resize the panes by dragging the bar above the button icons, it all goes a bit pear-shaped.

Also, one thing I'd quite like to see in future versions of Flare is more flexibility in the navigation layout, e.g. being able to use a one pane system where the navigation controls (TOC, search, etc) and topic can be displayed in the same pane.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

RamonS wrote:
Richard Ferrell wrote:This skin was created by Mike Hamilton, Our VP Of Development, but since he alreadys works here, he won't be getting a Free T-shirt.
LOL! :lol: Just make sure that he doesn't quit because of that.
hahah :)
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

LTinker68 wrote:
Keep up the good work, Mike! (Maybe you could send the T-shirt to your counterpart at RH. :P )

oooh thats gotta hurt..:)
anyway mr mike is actually a writer himself...so i guess its no biggie for him
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

What location do I unzip the file to?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

MarinaMichaels wrote:What location do I unzip the file to?
To use it in a project, copy it to the project's Project\Skins folder.

If you're going to use it a lot you can make it available as a skin template, to do this copy it to My Documents\My templates\Skins.
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

Thanks!

Apparently my renaming of my "My Documents" folder has confused Flare, because there is no "My Templates" folder in my "Active" folder (which is "My Documents" in disguise).

Is there another location where the "My Templates" folder might be? Or can I just go ahead and create that folder structure in my "My Documents" folde?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I've no idea, but you could certainly give it a try!

After doing that, if you go to Project > Add skin, then select My Templates on the left, the skin should be displayed on the right. If it's not there, it would suggest that Flare doesn't like your folder names.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

You renamed the holy grail of the misguided Windows My Whatever folder design? I never use these folders for anything as I think it is the worst place to put things, especially Flare projects. So much of the path name is already wasted for all the folder names that only half can be used. Would be a bit different if Windows wouldn't still hit the DOS limits from 30 years ago.

You can do a search for the "My Templates" folder. If it is anywhere that will most likely tell you where it is.
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

MarinaMichaels wrote:Thanks!

Apparently my renaming of my "My Documents" folder has confused Flare, because there is no "My Templates" folder in my "Active" folder (which is "My Documents" in disguise).

Is there another location where the "My Templates" folder might be? Or can I just go ahead and create that folder structure in my "My Documents" folde?
Yes, you have to create the MyTemplates folder if you haven't already. That is where Flare will find any Skin, Stylesheet, Topic, etc. templates you put there.