Search using underscores

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
sdswriter
Jr. Propeller Head

Search using underscores

Post by sdswriter »

My Help system contains descriptions of several commands that include the underscore character -- i.e., read_layout. However, Search in WebHelp doesn't appear to fully recognize underscores. I can get the search query to work if I use a space instead of an underscore, along with quotations, but our customers won't be satisfied with this workaround. Also, a search query will work if I search for a command option that begins with a dash (-scan_enable). But it won't work if only part of the string is used in the query -- i.e., entering -scan_enab in the text field won't find -scan_enable. Has anybody else encountered this issue or know what contributes to this limitation?

thanks,

Steve
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Search using underscores

Post by NorthEast »

I know the search uses some special characters and words for 'advanced' searches, but I think these are just: " |
+ & ! ^ ( ) or and not

Underscores don't appear to be used as a special character though, so I'd log it as a bug if it causes you problems.
sdswriter
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by sdswriter »

Thanks for your reply, Dave. I filed a bug with Madcap Support...
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Welcome to the forums, sdswriter!

Let us know if we can help in any other way.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

have you added the topics (with underscores) as index entries? that might help search the system faster than freeword search
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
sdswriter
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by sdswriter »

Thanks for the suggestion on the keyword / index search, forfear...

Yes, I've added the commands with underscores as keywords in the index, and this works well. It's unfortunate that these same keywords don't show up when using the freeword search, though...
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

My pleasure sdswriter.
But i guess i learned something new about the Search and underscores well. Interesting exercise though!
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder