Help Launch Receives 400 Error

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
akhoff
Jr. Propeller Head

Help Launch Receives 400 Error

Post by akhoff »

I am receiving a 400 error when the developer links the help to the application. When the help is launched, the TOC pane loads normally with all of the topics, as does the top pane. However, the content pane displays the message: Server Error in '/' Application. HTTP Error 400 - Bad Request. When any topic is clicked in the toc pane, the file loads normally and no errors are displayed. This error occurs only on the launch. The developer is using this Javascript to launch the webhelp:
<input type="button" value="Open Help System" onclick="FMCOpenHelp( 'Fault_List', 'silver', null, null );" />
This is my first Flare project and I am trying to convince my client to switch from RoboHelp. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks very much.
Anne
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Help Launch Receives 400 Error

Post by RamonS »

Welcome to the forums!
I have not much experience with ECMAScript, but maybe calling help using a plain simple URL call will do the trick without the need of a script. This is explained as method 2 in the help (see http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/w ... lopers.htm ). I use the URL method exclusively and never encountered any problems.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Is he calling to the default.htm page instead of the default_CSH.page? (Or whatever you called your output file.)

The _CSH page is created automatically when you do a build and it's specifically for CSH calls. I can't remember if the page RamonS references specifically mentions why to use the _CSH page instead of the one without _CSH in the name, but if it doesn't, then that's why (it contains additional code, I believe). So when you publish the help, you need to include both default.htm and default_CSH.htm -- the first to handle manual calls, the second to handle CSH calls.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
akhoff
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by akhoff »

Thanks so much for your help. The developer switched to the URL method and the problem was solved. I will also forward the _CSH solution to him as well. Thank you!
Anne