Translating Webhelp Projects

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ed_d
Propeller Head

Translating Webhelp Projects

Post by ed_d »

Is there any information on translating Flare projects WITHOUT using Lingo? We are pretty attached to another translation memory program (Déjà Vu), as it also works with non-Madcap products.

So far, I haven't had any problems using translation memory on the (output) content htm files. The only problem arises with the index file. Translating it ruins the alphabetical order. Would it be better to have the source files translated, then generate the output? However, this would mean having different versions of the project for each language.

Additionally, which files must be translated? I'm curious about what other people have been doing.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Translating Webhelp Projects

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Lingo won't Translate your project for you, You will still need to use an outside product to do that, but what Lingo Does give you is Translatation Memory, and the ability to easily create a new project in the different language from your source project.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
ed_d
Propeller Head

Re: Translating Webhelp Projects

Post by ed_d »

I know Lingo doesn't translate projects. We use translation memory to assist in translating projects. In the end, Lingo is just one of a number of options.

Because we use a different program, we would like to know how to optimize our workflow, as we use both in-house and external translators. Most translation memory programs support html and xml, but I'm unsure whether to use source or output files, or if there are any easier methods.

Additionally, we have both Framemaker and Flare versions of the manuals which, though identical, result in additional translation costs, as we have to send both versions.