Multiple WebHelp Plus Projects on Local Machine

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
SusanNicholson
Propeller Head

Multiple WebHelp Plus Projects on Local Machine

Post by SusanNicholson »

Hi,

I have more than one project publishing in the WebHelp Plus output, and each project is independant - no merging required. To view these on the local machine, the projects are automatically created in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview. So, each time I generate a project, it over-writes the help site in this directory.

I need to have multiple projects available on localhost, for review purposes. Is there a way to have Flare place each project in a different directory in wwwroot, so they are not over-written by other project builds?

Thanks,
Sue
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Multiple WebHelp Plus Projects on Local Machine

Post by KevinDAmery »

Change the output folder in the target to go to a unique subdirectory. (Although it should do that automatically....)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You can set up multiple publishing destinations. You can either have multiple destinations in one target and check/uncheck the relevant ones when you do the build, or you can make multiple targets, each with its own destination, and then run the appropriate target.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SusanNicholson
Propeller Head

Post by SusanNicholson »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried both solutions, but neither achieves what I require.

When I build a WebHelp Plus target and view from Flare, the project is automatically copied to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview on my local machine. This is what I am trying to change. I want it to go to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview\MyHelp1.

If I use destinations and publish to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview\MyHelp1, the project is still written to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview on view of the build. So, I end up with two copies of the project in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview - once in ..\MCPreview and once in ..\MCPreview\MyHelp1.

If I change my output folder, I end up with the project built to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview\Output\MyTargetName. Then when I view the build from Flare, the project is deleted from this location as Flare tries to copy the files to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview, and so cannot be viewed as the output does not exist.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

SusanNicholson wrote:To view these on the local machine, the projects are automatically created in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview.
Why not have the source files in a dedicated folder off the hard drive (e.g., C:\HelpProjects is what mine is called), and have each project publish to a different destination under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MCPreview? Publishing requires you to build the output first, so this way the output files are built in the HelpProjects folder and the published output goes to your IIS directory.

BTW, if you'd rather have more control over the folder structure in the output folder (e.g., don't create Output\MyTargetName, just put it where you specify), then make sure to submit a feature request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. Others have asked for that, too, but the more who ask...

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.