Urjent-Redirect to Page Not found Page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
benone
Propeller Head

Urjent-Redirect to Page Not found Page

Post by benone »

Hi,

I am working on CSH for our webbased application(Dot net) and i could get that with g8 output....

But theres an issue; when ever i try to open the corresponding topic using Help Image in the application for a topic which is not defined in the alias file, its automatically directing to Default Page of the help

Now my manger wants me to create another file with some "PAGE NOT FOUND CONTENT" and redirect to it, rather to a page called Defult page, as its the Home page. when ever such thing happens.

Its very urjent, hope some one will come to the rescue

Thnx!Chris
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Urjent-Redirect to Page Not found Page

Post by RamonS »

The current behaviour is by design and typical for any help format that I know of. What you could do is make the default page to be the "Page not found" page, but that would be the page that comes up when one accesses the help without passing any references. One option in WebHelp is to call the desired topic by the file name it has in the output. That way you don't need an alias or a map ID, but are very limited in renaming topics.
And also, the page that was requested got found quite fine from a web server point of view. It is just that the page didn't have the expected content, which is a user expectation that web servers cannot handle. You can check the server logs and you will see that for such a csh call the server does not log a 404 error.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

The last company I worked at got around that problem by making the intro page serve several purposes. There were links to "how to use help", "how to search", "contacting support"....

As Ramon said, that's just the way it is. You could, I suppose create a special page for windows that don't yet have have their content. If you create the aliases for _all_ of the windows in the alias editor, you could pass off the header file to development and they have what they need to code, and you can point any alias without true content to your special page. Later, you can update your alias file as you write the content. Dev only sees the header file so you don't need to have them do anything.

I haven't tried this, but it should work just fine. You can repeat topics but not identifiers or values.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
benone
Propeller Head

Post by benone »

After doing bit R&D on flare integration with my Dot net Application, what i have found was; When an alias ID not found in Alias.XML page ,its directing to the Start page(Which was set in Flare Target Option) and my start page name is Default. So what we have done is
1.Set the Start Page to "Page Not Found Page" by using Primary Target File
2.By modifying my Dot Net Code(Menu.ascx)code (where i am finding my dot net page name) which then passed to FMCOpenHelp function. See the code below;

if (page == 'Default')
{
page = 'Default1';
}
FMCOpenHelp(page, null, null, null );

and then chaning my alias name Default to Default1

so now when ever theres no associated Help page for a particular topic it will redirect to the Start page.

And Its working

Hope it made sense...

Thnx!Chris
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

As long as it is working :-)
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.