Putting text in the QuickSearch box without post-processing

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ChristineShirey
Propeller Head

Putting text in the QuickSearch box without post-processing

Post by ChristineShirey »

I learned -- probably through this forum, though I can't find the information now -- where to edit my Flare installation files to ensure that text always appears in the QuickSearch box when I generate WebHelp output. (I added the text, "Search in this topic," to help users understand the distinction between the all-topic Search and the current-topic QuickSearch.)

Now I no longer have access to the installation where I made the change (it worked beautifully), and I can't remember where to add the text!

Can anybody help out? (I realize this change affects ALL projects I generate on this computer, but this happens to be a change I always want to make.)

THANKS!

Forgetfully,
Christine
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Putting text in the QuickSearch box without post-processing

Post by NorthEast »

I didn't see the original post you mentioned, but to add your text to the quick search box in WebHelp do this:

1. In Flare's installation folder, open the file Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp\Content\SkinSupport\MadCapToolbar.js in Notepad
2. To find the bit of code to edit, search for the line: input.title = "Quick search text box";
3. After that line, add a new line: input.value = "Search in this topic";

That should do it.

One thing though, if you use this method then the user will have to delete that text before they can enter their search text, which I would find a bit inconvenient. Would it not be better to have this text as a tooltip (which is set in the skin)?

For my help I actually remove the quick search box altogether, as people just confuse it with the full search, and there is already a find on this page function in all browsers.
Pohutukawa
Propeller Head

Re: Putting text in the QuickSearch box without post-processing

Post by Pohutukawa »

To change the tooltip, just change the input.title.