Madcap logos and links in WebHelp header

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
gailh
Jr. Propeller Head

Madcap logos and links in WebHelp header

Post by gailh »

I've fixed the first part of this, which is editing the default skin to replace the Madcap logo with my own logo. I found the answer to that one in the forums. Couldn't find answers to the following though:

When the page first displays, the Madcap logo flashes up before my logo replaces it. This is really distracting and annoying. How do I stop it from happening?

If I click my logo in the header it launches a "Madcap Webhelp Powered by Flare" image. How do I stop that from happening? The OnClick option for my logo in the skin says "(not set)".

Also, the name displayed in my title bar is just "WebHelp". Is there somewhere I can change that so it has the company and product name for the help volume?

Thanks!
Gail
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Madcap logos and links in WebHelp header

Post by lacastle »

gailh wrote: When the page first displays, the Madcap logo flashes up before my logo replaces it. This is really distracting and annoying. How do I stop it from happening?
I'm not sure about this one. Where is this happening? Where did you set up your logo to "flash up" when you launch your help?
gailh wrote:If I click my logo in the header it launches a "Madcap Webhelp Powered by Flare" image. How do I stop that from happening? The OnClick option for my logo in the skin says "(not set)".
To Flare, "not set" means "default", so you need to put something there if you don't want the default. I'm not sure if you can have nothing. I use a javascript to link to my company's website: window.open('http://www.mywebsite.com');
gailh wrote:Also, the name displayed in my title bar is just "WebHelp". Is there somewhere I can change that so it has the company and product name for the help volume?
You can make this whatever you want on the Basic tab of your Skin editor (under Caption).
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

gailh wrote:When the page first displays, the Madcap logo flashes up before my logo replaces it. This is really distracting and annoying. How do I stop it from happening?
What you can do is entirely replace the MadCap Logo with a logo of your choice. For that you'd need to replace the file LogoIcon.gif in the Skin/Images subfolder of the WebHelp output. The only problem with that is that you should keep the same dimensions as the original and that you need to do this each and every time when you recompile.
For a permanent replacement you need to change the LogoIcon.gif here:
C:\Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V4\Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp\Default.flwht\Images
That should take care of it forever. And since in either case the gif is no longer available it won't show even for a split second.
For even more control over things you'd need to edit the MadCapToolbar.js script file. There you can change the name of the logo file that is loaded as well as the width and height that is set for the image tag. Since this is inside a table you may need to tweak the settings in the Toolbar.htm file as well.

I highly recommend to make at least one backup of all files first.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

gailh wrote:When the page first displays, the Madcap logo flashes up before my logo replaces it. This is really distracting and annoying. How do I stop it from happening?
That doesn't happen for me. Have you cleaned (deleted) the output folder? You might also need to clear the cache in your browser.

And the logo doesn't need to match the size of the MadCap logo.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

LTinker68 wrote:And the logo doesn't need to match the size of the MadCap logo.
Well, I tried it out before posting and found that my sample .gif got squished into the rectangular shape of the original logo. I guess we are both right. If one just replaces the image file the dimensions matter as they are explicitly set in the .js file. Changing these settings or removing them completely will allow for inserting a logo of any size and shape. So, yes, the logo doesn't have to match the size, but that only works out when taking that extra step of forking around in the .js file.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I just reread the beginning of this thread. I thought Gail was referring to the logo in the skin, but I guess she was referring to the "about" box that appears when you click on the logo in the toolbar. I think I remember it doing that and I decided to just clear out the onClick field for the logo so that nothing happens when the user clicks on the logo. If you were using the logo to launch your company's website, Gail, then you might want to clear out the onClick field on the logo and instead create a custom toolbar icon that launches your company website. That way you don't get the MadCap splash logo but you still have a way for your users to get to your website.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
gailh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by gailh »

Thank you everyone for your help.

The Madcap logo is now completely gone, I've got a meaningful title for my help, and clicking my logo opens my company's home page in a new browser tab.

One great thing about being in a different time zone from a lot of you is that I get to start the day by fixing all of these problems! :)

Cheers
Gail
KBaine
Propeller Head

Post by KBaine »

Where is the OnClick field in the Skin file? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have an image in to replace the Madcap logo, that's working fine. But I can't find where I edit the image link to my company's web site.

Thank you.
Kathleen
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

onclick.jpg
it's in the same place for the other ToolbarItems too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KBaine
Propeller Head

Post by KBaine »

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I fixed it and even borrowed your javascript to link the logo to our web site.

Kathleen
Jan Jursa
Propeller Head

Post by Jan Jursa »

If you simply exchange the Flare Logo with your own but don't want it to link to anything
simply put "void 0;" into the script part of OnClick (or "return false;" - which does basically the same).
Lucia
Propeller Head

Post by Lucia »

Thanks, Jan Jursa. I was looking for this answer :)

But I have another question: How do I do in order of having no text displayed when hovering the logo?
Lucia