Flat File Structure for Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
akhoff
Jr. Propeller Head

Flat File Structure for Output

Post by akhoff »

Is there a way to structure the output from Flare to Webhelp so that all files - content, images, js, everything - are in one folder? I have a request from a developer to completely remove the structure that is created by Flare output. I tried using a Find And Replace application to search for and remove the directory structure references in the generated output. I am receiving an "Error on Page" message and none of the content, TOC, etc. display. The frames are displayed properly, just nothing in them. Does anyone know if this flat file structure is even possible? Thanks for your help.
Anne
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Flat File Structure for Output

Post by RamonS »

I don't know of any easy way to make that happen other than patching up the output as you started to attempt it, but that would then be necessary after each compile. Maybe if you could elaborate more on why a flat structure is demanded we might come up with some ideas. I cannot think of any reason why a flat structure is of any benefit, but I may be missing something.
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

Can't you use the WebHelp AIR output to get one file (and not all the folders)? It's new, so I've never tried it, but it looks like it would be interesting.

(in the Flare Help - Features > Targets > Determining the Output Type)
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Yes, you can have a flat file sturcure, In your Content Exploter you want to keep everything at the same Level, so you will need to move your Stylesheets and Images files to the same level, In your Target output on the Advance Tab you will want to Check "Do not use content Folder in output" This should then create a flat output for you.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Easier than I thought!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

lacastle wrote:Can't you use the WebHelp AIR output to get one file (and not all the folders)? It's new, so I've never tried it, but it looks like it would be interesting.

(in the Flare Help - Features > Targets > Determining the Output Type)
Just a note - the AIR output is only a single file output in the sense that you only need to distribute a single .air file. To use the help, you first need to install this .air file (like a normal application), and this will stick the usual 100s of files for your WebHelp in the installation folder, plus the files required for the AIR container (the EXE and a few others).

Just think of it like packaging up your WebHelp in an installer and sending it out as a setup.exe file. It's a single file in that sense, but not the same as something like a CHM which is a single file that people can open directly (without having to install it).