WebHelp AIR - Object reference error

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
saanvik
Propeller Head

WebHelp AIR - Object reference error

Post by saanvik »

Just for kicks I thought I'd try to see what the WebHelp AIR output looks like. When I build it, though, I get the dreaded "Internal error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Any ideas? Normal webhelp builds fine for the project. There are some errors when building webhelp (missing images referred to in the CSS file by classes that are not used and some missing linked files), but I don't think that would cause the issue.

I do have the latest version of AIR installed. I do have multiple JVMs. I am using the latest version of Flare.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: WebHelp AIR - Object reference error

Post by NorthEast »

I got that in a few of my projects that included some normal HTML files (i.e. not XHTML files created in Flare's editor).
The same projects build fine as WebHelp targets without any errors.

When you build the AIR target, does the error appear in the log when it's processing a particular file?
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Also be sure your Default Topic is set to default.air instead of default.htm
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
saanvik
Propeller Head

Post by saanvik »

Do you mean Startup Topic? If not, where do I find the Default Topic setting?
saanvik
Propeller Head

Post by saanvik »

There were a couple of HTML (not XHTML) files in my project. Fixing those solved the problem.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Althought you found the problem, it's worth putting in a bug report for this - I don't really see why a project that works fine for normal WebHelp isn't also ok for WebHelp AIR.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

My guess is that AIR displays the help. If it is anything like Flash it is very weird in the way it handles non-Flash / non-AIR content unless it is explicitly endorsed.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

RamonS wrote:My guess is that AIR displays the help. If it is anything like Flash it is very weird in the way it handles non-Flash / non-AIR content unless it is explicitly endorsed.

Just to be clear, this is during a build - you can't get as far as making the AIR package to install and view it.

It's hard to say what's happening. If you go by what the log says, this error happens at the 'processing topics' stage, well before the end of the build when the log would say it's 'Running the 'Adobe AIR compiler' (it doesn't get this far though).

Perhaps there's some stricter file checking going on, although I'm not sure why it'd shut out standard HTML files.