Different text size (v4.0 vs v3.1)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
jonh
Jr. Propeller Head

Different text size (v4.0 vs v3.1)

Post by jonh »

I've recently upgraded from Flare v3.1 to v4.0 and have found something odd with my Webhelp output.
In my css I am using the relative font sizes: x-small, small, etc. so the browsers will scale them for accessibility.

In v3.1 when we were using x-small for body text and it looked fine in IE.
(It looked smaller in browsers like Firefox and Safari but all our users use IE so we kept it at x-small.)

However since moving to Flare v4.0 all body text size is now much smaller when viewed in IE:
textInFlare.gif
Am I missing something obvious or do I have to go through all my projects and change the font sizes in all my css files?

Thanks...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Different text size (v4.0 vs v3.1)

Post by NorthEast »

I'd noticed a change in font size in the editor window, but not the output.
I use relative fonts too, but I use ems, not x-small, etc.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but the first thing I'd check is that IE's font size setting (View > Text size) is medium.

If that's ok, then I'd get a v3 project and build it in v3, then make a copy of that project and build it in v4.
I'd then open both the v3 and v4 outputs in IE and check them side-by-side; if they're different, then something is definitely up!
jonh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jonh »

Thanks Dave. Yep I checked the font size and both are set to medium.
The outputs in the image above are the webhelp output from the same project as viewed in IE7; one compiled by v3.1 and the other by v4.0 (both using the same css file).
I don't think it's anything obvious I've missed but you never know... :mrgreen:
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Did you always test it in IE7, or were you previously only viewing it in IE6?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

I noticed this too. The only thing I can think of is that it's something to do with the difference between IE7's Quirks and Standards mode and what Flare is writing out at the top of each .htm file. Look at the source of the same compiled topic from Flare 3.1 and Flare 4.0. Any differences at the top of the files?

UPDATE: I had a chance to check this out myself and Flare 4.0 now adds a DOCTYPE declaration to every topic. From what I've read elsewhere that's enough to put IE7 into Standards mode (or Almost Standards mode, anyway). I think this may account for the change.
jonh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jonh »

Ah. Thanks for the heads up Paul. I'll take a closer look at my output files. :)
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

The good news is I think you can disable the DOCTYPE declaration in the target file (under Advanced options).
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

In the XML editor, Flare is handling the font generation differently then Flare v3, This should have no affect on your output.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
jonh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jonh »

I found the issue. In my Webhelp Target Properties (on the Advanced tab) there is an "Add DOCTYPE declaration to generated topics " option. If i have this checked (default) my fonts sudddenly become much smaller than they were in v3.1. If I uncheck this, then they are the same as they were in v3.1.
(I'm looking at changing my style sheet so it will produce the desired results with the DOCTYPE declaration on now.)