Importing terms into a Glossary

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Harrison73
Propeller Head

Importing terms into a Glossary

Post by Harrison73 »

We're just going about the process of creating a Glossary in our project, and I was wondering if there's an easy to import text/terms from another document format (FrameMaker, Word, etc) into the glossary. One of our writers has created a Word document with a couple hundred terms/definitions we want included in the Glossary, and as far I can tell we're now going to have to copy-and-paste each of these terms and definitions into the Glossary Editor. It's not that onerous I suppose, but I was just wondering if there's an easier way to import these into Flare?

On another glossary note, does anyone know if it's possible to display a glossary definition for a term other than the one the definition is defined for? For example, suppose I have a glossary term and definition for the word "workbook". I can type in the word "workbook", and then click Insert, Glossary Term LInk and everything is ready to. But is there any way to link to the "workbook" glossary definition from, say, the word "workbooks". Doesn't seem possible from what I've read, but just want to double-check.

-chris
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Importing terms into a Glossary

Post by lacastle »

I'm pretty sure there's no easier way to create a glossary than copying and pasting from another document. I worked on a glossary for a long time that way and tried to find easier ways, but they're not there.

I don't know about the other definition links, but I don't think it's possible to link to other words. You can, however, put more than one term with the same definition in the Glossary editor.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Importing terms into a Glossary

Post by NorthEast »

Harrison73 wrote:I was just wondering if there's an easier way to import these into Flare?
There's not an easy way.

I managed to convert a list of glossary terms. I saved all the terms in a text document, and then used a find-and-replace tool to add the XML tags used in Flare glossary files. It took a while, but was quicker than doing 300 copy-and-pastes.
Harrison73 wrote:On another glossary note, does anyone know if it's possible to display a glossary definition for a term other than the one the definition is defined for? For example, suppose I have a glossary term and definition for the word "workbook". I can type in the word "workbook", and then click Insert, Glossary Term LInk and everything is ready to. But is there any way to link to the "workbook" glossary definition from, say, the word "workbooks". Doesn't seem possible from what I've read, but just want to double-check.
You can enter more than one glossary term in the definition (on separate lines), so in this case you you'd have workbook and workbooks in the same entry.

It is a bit of a pain though, not only might you want to use terms in singular and plural, the terms are also case-sensitive (e.g. you might have the term in lower case in the glossary, but you want it capitalised at the start of a line).