Add to Favorites button doesn't work on some browsers

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
jjbroomco
Propeller Head

Add to Favorites button doesn't work on some browsers

Post by jjbroomco »

Hi all,

I searched the forums but didn't find an answer to this.

I have been testing our WebHelp output on different browsers. We enabled the "add topic to favorites" option in our skin, and it seems to work fine in IE 7.0 and Firefox. But when you click the 'add topic to favorites' icon in Safari (Mac) or Google Chrome, nothing happens. When you click the Favorites button in the lower-left tabs, the topic doesn't show up in the list of favorite topics. I verified that cookies are enabled in Firefox and Chrome.

On a similar note, when I click on the Index tab on Safari, the progress bar is stuck and the index doesn't display.

I don't know if these are known issues that may be fixed in Flare 4.0? Anyone else have a similar experience with these options?

thanks!
-Jason
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Add to Favorites button doesn't work on some browsers

Post by RamonS »

Both Safari and Google Chrome use a different rendering engine and are in general different. I also don't think that they are supported browsers, which is acceptable giving the mediocre market share. Typically, things work well in Opera. Besides that, Google Chrome is a beta product and I cannot see any reason why any professional application would need to support beta software (keep in mind that anything from Google is in beta indefinitely).
At my work we develop browser based applications, but we found that the majority of Mac users that we target don't use Safari, but use Firefox for Max OS X.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Flare currently only supports Fire Fox 1.x or later, IE 5.5 or Later and Safari 1.31 or Later on the Mac, We are not able to support Beta versions of Browsers. So Once Chrome is released and not longer in Beta mode, we may provide support for it.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Richard Ferrell wrote:Flare currently only supports Fire Fox 1.x or later, IE 5.5 or Later and Safari 1.31 or Later on the Mac, We are not able to support Beta versions of Browsers. So Once Chrome is released and not longer in Beta mode, we may provide support for it.
Of course Google seems to leave everything as a beta release...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

...and in the vast majority of cases it is well deserved. Ever dealt with Google? Even the way they run that company is barely beta. It is amazing that they make money that way.
helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by helen »

RamonS wrote:Both Safari and Google Chrome use a different rendering engine and are in general different.
I thought they both used Webkit. Perhaps I've got my wires crossed?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

You are right and I am right, I just wrote it in a confusing way. What I meant is that both Safari and Chrome use a different rendering engine compared to IE/FF. Yes, it is webkit and it strikes me as being the best engine around at the time, being a blend of the Mozilla engine and the Konqueror engine.
helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by helen »

*re-reads*

Ahhh, I see now, sorry! :D
jjbroomco
Propeller Head

Post by jjbroomco »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I added some of the web issues to our release notes, saying what web browsers and versions are supported and which ones we tested on.