Help with topic-level Mini-TOC in WebHelp?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
chevenga
Jr. Propeller Head

Help with topic-level Mini-TOC in WebHelp?

Post by chevenga »

Hi, all.

I'm creating WebHelp output in Flare 4. I'd like to automatically put a list of the <h2> and <h3> headings into some topics -- something like "Here's what you'll find in this topic:"

I checked Flare help, and the "About the Mini-TOC Proxy" topic says that this can be done, but only for print outputs:
For print-based output formats, you can insert a mini-TOC proxy into any topic where you want to generate a small TOC.
example—styles method
Let's say that you want to use the default method, where the mini-TOC entries are based on headings using the <h1> through <h6> styles in your project. Perhaps you have created a lengthy topic, with the <h1> style applied to the first heading in that topic and several subheadings below it that are using the <h2> and <h3> styles.
I went ahead and tried the topic-level mini-TOC for WebHelp and HTML Help output, but no luck. (It does work for Word output that I created just to test this.)

Any suggestions on how I could get this to work in WebHelp without having to add links manually?

Thanks!

Jeyen
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Help with topic-level Mini-TOC in WebHelp?

Post by LTinker68 »

The mini-TOC only works if it's in a topic a level above those that you want to appear in the mini-TOC. In other words, if you have a book with four topics beneath it, then the book has to link to a topic that's not one of the four sub-topics. What I do is have an "intro" topic that contains the mini-TOC, and that intro topic is what the book links to. It then automatically pulls all of the topics within that book into the mini-TOC intro topic. If you have a book beneath that book, then the first book will include the topics in the sub-book if you tell it to go down 2 or 3 levels (however many you have). But the mini-TOC topic always has to be a level "above" the topics you want included in the mini-TOC.

The following example works because the intro.htm page linked to in Book A is a "level" above Topics A, B, and C in the TOC.

Code: Select all

Book A --> intro.htm with mini-TOC
    Topic A
    Topic B
    Topic C
This setup will not work because Topic A is at the same "level" as Topics B and C.

Code: Select all

Topic A --> includes mini-TOC proxy
Topic B
Topic C

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
chevenga
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by chevenga »

Thank you for the suggestion, Lisa.

However, a mini-TOC based on styles within a topic is unrelated to and unaffected by the main TOC.

You can see an example of this in the "example: styles method" section of the "About the Mini-TOC Proxy" help topic.

The only components that affect the mini-TOC within a topic are the heading tags (h1, h2, h3, etc.).

This works for me in Word output.

What I'd like is suggestions for making it work in WebHelp.

Thanks again.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

All of my top-level books in my TOC point to topics that have mini-TOC proxies in them. Those topics display correctly in both WebHelp and print outputs. So mini-TOCs can be used in WebHelp output, if that's what you're asking for.
The mini-TOC is built based on heading styles in topics (indented) below that mini-TOC topic, but the appearance of the mini-TOC is controlled by the p.MiniTOC1, p.MiniTOC2, etc., styles (and the MadCap|miniTOCProxy style). So you can have the mini-TOC look one way for online output and another way for print output.

EDIT: I guess you're talking about a mini-TOC inside a topic with content. I'm pretty sure that works in WebHelp output, too. I'm about to test it.

EDIT 2: Yeah, I couldn't get it to work either, even though the Preview window showed an example of it. The example in the help you reference doesn't actually state that it's for print-only (the previous two examples expressly stated that they were for online output and print output, but the third example didn't make that distinction). So either mini-TOCs can't be used inside a content topic for online output, or something was broken in v4. Or there's something else that needs to be done to set it up correctly.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
chevenga
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by chevenga »

Thanks for giving it a shot!

Maybe someone will get inspired and make a script or something. :)
Sharon_G
Propeller Head

Post by Sharon_G »

Hi,
When I read the Help it said that you should use a Master page to insert a mini-TOC proxy into a topic when you wanted to display a mini-TOC in that topic in the Help. I thought that this might solve your problem so I tried it out - sorry, it doesn't work using that idea either.

But now I'm wondering, thanks to the extremely useful information in this thread, since I can get the mini-TOC to show up in both the print and non-print versions of the topic by just adding the proxy to the topic directly - why would I want to add it by using a master page that only applies to on-line versions of the topic?

It's not that I don't understand the advantages of using master pages - I've been using them in Frame for years, it's just that the Help implies that this is the ONLY way to get a mini-TOC in the online version of your document. As a result I wasted time creating a master page, applying it to the topic, and conditionalizing out the proxy that was already there (making it print-only) - only to find that the work was not necessary for the result I require. However, as a new user it was a useful learning experience, so no harm done.

Perhaps a little clarification is in order for the next rev of the docs?
Just a suggestion.
Sharon (yes, I read the Help) Gilmour 8)