Passing Variables through Browser URL

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
lantisent
Jr. Propeller Head

Passing Variables through Browser URL

Post by lantisent »

What we would like to be able to do is have a single output project on a website that provides different content based on variables passed through the browser URL. Due to state specific laws, we need our documentation to reflect the particular states unique requirements.

So as an example we would like to have Montana specific information included when we set the STATE variable to MT: http://www.ourwebsite/policies&STATE=MT

The Flare project posted at the URL would contain all topics, but we want the browser match to find and display only the topics with a variable MT...Is this something that is supported?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Passing Variables through Browser URL

Post by NorthEast »

There's nothing like that built-in to Flare, you'd really need someone with web design experience to help you.

However, some things you might want to look at are...

If you have all the content on one project, you could use a conditional tag for each state (to mark information specific to that state), then set up target for each state.
Although this means you have lots of target outputs, you could combine them in a single master project by using project merging, which also means you only have to run one build.
You could direct users to the output for a particular state, or to the master output (to see info for all states).

I'd also have a look at what you can do using Flare's CSH links.
For example, to display all topics containing the words "montana", you might use a link like this: http://www.ourwebsite/help_CSH.htm?montana

Plus I'd also have a look at search filters. If you inserted a concept term containing the state name into each topic, you could filter your search results to show only those topics marked for a particular state.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Passing Variables through Browser URL

Post by RamonS »

I asked for this feature to be added some time ago, I recommend filing a feature request as well, the more interest the more likely we see it get done.