Is it possible to change the project directory structure?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Is it possible to change the project directory structure?

Post by MarinaMichaels »

Right now, I have the following structure for my Flare Help project:

C:\...\Output\Marina Michaels\Help

Is there some way I can change the project properties to remove the \Marina Michaels\ directory? It's just me, so I don't need that directory layer.

Thanks!

regards,

Marina
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Is it possible to change the project directory structure?

Post by LTinker68 »

I think the only way you can do it is to publish the output to a specific location. You'll still have the default, user-named folder in the project output folder, but you can also publish it to another location.

Make sure you submit a feature request asking for that to be removed. People have been questioning the need for the user named folder since version 1, especially when the project is stored in a central location for multiple users to access and build projects to.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

This is a known issue, but there are a few workarounds.

One thing you can do is just change the name of the output folder on the target tab to point where you want it to go. This seems fine initially, but if you move the project (like you want to work on it at home, or another colleague wants it) then you are stuck with a hard-coded path that might not work in all locations.

I've set up some publishing destinations. This means I can leave the output path as the default and I can compile and check my output as it is created, but I can "publish" to a known destination when I am ready to create output that needs to be saved.

This has the advantage that the published output is readily accessible to the team for review, and I can move my project without worrying, and also that I can "clean" the output at any time without worrying if I am deleting something I want.

I've raised a request to get rid of the user name in the path. This is more annoying on a team as you can end up creating more than one copy of the output just when you try to view it.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

Thanks for the responses!

I did know about publishing to a different location.

The issue was raised because I was putting all my project files into version control (Subversion), and I had been thinking that perhaps the developers could just take the output from my project file directory. But they objected to having my name in the path.

So instead I have created a separate location for the output that I will manually copy my files to, which developers can use for builds. I thought about having my ouptut drop the files there, but upon mature reflection, I realized that sometimes I'll be developing files and they won't be ready for a build.

I will submit a feature request on the name, as well.

Thanks again!

regards,

Marina
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

How do I submit a feature request?
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

MarinaMichaels wrote:How do I submit a feature request?
Here's the link:
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
It's the same link for bugs and feature requests - you have to select the "type".
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

Thank you!