WebHelp: Expand TOC when linking to a topic externally

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
tasteslikechicken
Propeller Head

WebHelp: Expand TOC when linking to a topic externally

Post by tasteslikechicken »

We have an FAQ setup as a Book within our WebHelp system and we'd like to link directly to it from an external site. So, we're using the syntax described in the Flare Help:

<a href="MyWebHelp_CSH.htm#FAQ.htm" target="_blank">Open the FAQ</a>

and it works fine. But, we'd like the TOC to expand to show the contents of the FAQ as they would if a user had linked to the FAQ from within the WebHelp system.

Suggestions?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: WebHelp: Expand TOC when linking to a topic externally

Post by LTinker68 »

Do you have the synchronization option in the skin enabled? If so, try linking to the first topic beneath the book, just to see if that will cause the book to appear expanded.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
tasteslikechicken
Propeller Head

Post by tasteslikechicken »

Hi Lisa,

Yes, I do have 'auto-sync TOC' enabled in the skin and it does expand the book (and highlight the selected topic) if I link to a topic within the book. Is there a way to expand the Book in the TOC so that users can see the topics within the Book? If not, I suppose I could use a mini-TOC on the top-level page of the book.

Thanks!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Unfortunately, the mini-TOC would have to be at the book level, which is where your FAQ.htm page already is and that didn't work. What you might do is have the mini-TOC on the book topic and then have the first topic beneath the book be an introductory page or "if you need further assistance, please contact..." page or something.

BTW, you don't need to have the book point to a topic. If you're not using breadcrumbs, then you could have the book not point to any topic and have your first topic in the book be the FAQ.htm page. If you are using breadcrumbs, though, then the book needs to be pointing to a topic. You could try having the book point to the same topic that's first below the book (i.e., book > FAQ.htm, first topic > FAQ.htm) but I don't think that'll work either, since the book would be the first instance so it would probably stop there and not expand the book, but you coudl try it.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.