Apply different MasterPage to some topics

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Apply different MasterPage to some topics

Post by doc_guy »

I can't find the topic now, but I know that there is a way to apply two different master pages to different topics in the WebHelp output. Can someobdy point me in the right direction?

I want to have a first landing page that DOESN'T have the MasterPage applied. Then I want to apply the MasterPage to all other topics in my help system.

Thanks.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Apply different MasterPage to some topics

Post by LTinker68 »

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Short version of the steps is:

1) Create your master pages
2) In the stylesheet create a class in the HTML tag for the appropriate master pages
3) In the class, tell it to reference the master page
4) For each topic, you can select the class in the topic properties, which tells it to use the master page associated with the class
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

That is quite backwards as there are generally way more topics that would need the MasterPage than not. So now one has to apply the setting to 4023 out of 4024 topics when telling Flare not to use it for one topic would be much easier. Smells like feature request.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

RamonS wrote:That is quite backwards as there are generally way more topics that would need the MasterPage than not. So now one has to apply the setting to 4023 out of 4024 topics when telling Flare not to use it for one topic would be much easier. Smells like feature request.
Presumably you could also specify a master page for the base HTML tag as well, although I haven't tried it. For my purposes it wasn't appropriate because I was using this method to apply a banner to each topic telling users which section of the application the topic pertained to.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

RamonS wrote:That is quite backwards as there are generally way more topics that would need the MasterPage than not. So now one has to apply the setting to 4023 out of 4024 topics when telling Flare not to use it for one topic would be much easier. Smells like feature request.
No, you don't. My base <html> tag points to the main topic masterpage, so by default, all of my topics will use the main topic masterpage. I have two custom <html> classes. One is for the "intro" page that doesn't have breadcrumbs but has a copyright DIV at the bottom, and one is called "nonTopic" that also doesn't have breadcrumbs but doesn't include the copyright DIV. The two topics that don't use the topic masterpage I just applied the appropriate custom class to the html tag, same way I'd apply a custom class to a paragraph.

So in Kevin's summation, step 4 only needs to be done for the two non-standard topic pages.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.