Problem with opening an external topic in current frame

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
pouliotmax
Sr. Propeller Head

Problem with opening an external topic in current frame

Post by pouliotmax »

Hi,

in a popup, if i try to open an eternal topic in the main frame (target="_parent"), i get a javascript error (documentElement is null). If i open the same page but in a new window, i don't get the error.

Can anybody tell me why?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Problem with opening an external topic in current frame

Post by LTinker68 »

So, you open a popup window, it has a link to something, and you want the destination to appear in the main window (thereby replacing the entire frameset) or in the same popup window?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
pouliotmax
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by pouliotmax »

Yes, i open a popup window, and on this page, i have links that open in my main frame (not over my toc). The links works and open where i want but i have a javascript error. If i open the same link but force it in a new window, i don't have the javascript error.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Are you using the Flare popup window feature, or are you creating the popup window using your own Javascript?

Lisa
pouliotmax
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by pouliotmax »

I'm using the pop up window feature in Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Are you using the topic popup or the text popup feature? If you're using the topic popup then you might not be able to get this to work, unless you can figure out what Flare uses to identify the topic frame. It's been awhile since I've worked with a frameset directly, but if I recall correctly, you have to name the frame in the destination, so it would be target="main" for instance. I've never looked to see how Flare identifies (named) the topic frame, so I'm not sure what it would use. I'm also not positive that would work from a popup -- I know I've done it in the past from another frame in the frameset to change the content of another frame, but I can't remember if you can do that from a popup window. It might leave the popup window still visible, too.

I guess with the text popup all of the above applies, too.

Something to try for a workaround... In Flare's help, there are instructions on how to make a CSH call using the topic's filename. You might be able to create a link in the popup topic (or text popup) that contains a CSH call to the topic you want. It will basically reload the entire frameset, but the topic pane will contain the topic you called. I'm just not sure if it will try loading the frameset in the open popup window or if it will load it in the original window. It might depend on the type of popup window it is (topic or text).

Lisa
pouliotmax
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by pouliotmax »

I'm using a topic popup (not a text)

I'll try to find the name of the frameset... I think it won't work in a popup...

Do you know if it's possible to use CSH calls but to not show the TOC or header? That would probably work!

Thanks for your help!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

pouliotmax wrote:Do you know if it's possible to use CSH calls but to not show the TOC or header? That would probably work!
There are a couple of ways you can do it (I forgot about one). You can call one of the HTML files directly like a normal link (there are options in the skin to automatically add a link that says "Open topic in navigation pane"). Or you can create a second skin and append that skin name to the CSH call. In the second skin, set it to hide navigation pane on startup and set the toolbar height to 1px. You can try 0px, but that used to generate an error -- don't know if that's been fixed.

Lisa