Have unused 2nd topic in publish output files.

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Have unused 2nd topic in publish output files.

Post by ChristyPatton »

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... f=9&t=7168

I have two help systems in one project. I use two different TOC to control which topics are pulled to the output. And of course different targets calling the TOC. However, I still have the original problem as outlined in the above older post. The Publish folder is bloated. The two systems are in separate Content Explorer files and because I use two TOC's getting into opposing content is never an issue. The only issue is the bloated publish file. I tried using conditional tags but since they are for output only, not really a publish solution...

Have I missed something in the above post or is there something else I can do short of manually removing all the opposing content from the publish file? If I manually remove, will this cause unknown errors?

Thank You!
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Have unused 2nd topic in publish output files.

Post by ChristyPatton »

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... f=9&t=6652

I referenced the wrong topic in my previous post.
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I'm not sure I understand what your distinction is between the publish and the build outputs. In particular, this is the part that confuses me:
The only issue is the bloated publish file. I tried using conditional tags but since they are for output only, not really a publish solution...
What it sounds like to me is that you have a folder structure like this in the content explorer:

Code: Select all

Topics
|-Project 1
|    |
|    | - Topic 1
|    | - Topic 2
|    | - Topic x
|
|-Project 2
     |
     | - Topic 1
     | - Topic 2
     | - Topic x

What you can do is create a condition tag set with two conditions. "Project1" and "Project2". Then in the Content Explorer, you right-click on the Project 1 folder, and in the conditional text settings (maybe in the properties option; I don't have Flare open at the moment), check the box for Project1.

Then in the Content Explorer, you right-click on the Project 2 folder, and in the conditional text settings, check the box for Project2.

Then in your target for Project 1, open the target editor and on the Conditional Text tab, and check the INCLUDE box for the Project1 condition and check the EXCLUDE box for the Project2 condition.

Then in your target for Project 2, open the target editor and on the Conditional Text tab, and check the INCLUDE box for the Project2 condition and check the EXCLUDE box for the Project1 condition.

When you build and/or publish, after completing these steps, only the topics from the INCLUDED conditions will be published/included in the build. But, remember, for a condition to be excluded, you have to specifically check the EXCLUDE box in the target settings, as conditions are INCLUDED by default.

If I've misunderstood you or not been clear, be sure to ask for further clarification.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

Your graphical depiction is correct. However, we use two TOC's on the project Organizer to distinguish between the two. We use conditional text for printed vs online output. All these files create a 'build', or compile, or target.

When I use the term publish I am using the Madcap definition, "You can Publish your online output files on a website or intranet location.

I think I discovered the 'publish' process is actually an automated copy of all the project contents from one 'work' location to a server. (along with making sure all the links, etc are updated from the move)

I believe the last step of the plan will be to create a new project and use the import tool to import all the necessary files from our main project. Thus, excluding the .html files we won't want in the completed product.

When we started with our 'global' project I envisioned shared .css, some graphics, the master pages. However, it has become one working project that we will break off pieces of to give to developers to attach to releases. I didn't plan this so I am along for the ride.

Does this help?
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

ChristyPatton wrote:I think I discovered the 'publish' process is actually an automated copy of all the project contents from one 'work' location to a server. (along with making sure all the links, etc are updated from the move)
AFAIK that isn't quite correct: it's an automated move of the built output, not of the project. If it was of the project, you would have all the Flare project files, snippets, targets, etc. moved to your webserver, which wouldn't do anyone any good unless they had a copy of Flare.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare