Non-XHTML in frameset targets

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
HelpTrog
Propeller Head

Non-XHTML in frameset targets

Post by HelpTrog »

I am trying to use WebHelp Plus to include non-XHTML docs. I have them listed as TOC items, but they are links to docs in my AutoSearch folder. For some reason, PDFs open in the document frame of the browser page, but .xls and .doc files open in an Excel or Word window. I have experimented in the Advanced tab of the TOC Properties, but am not able to make these docs open in the WHP browser.

Any suggestions?
carolynmwallace
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Non-XHTML in frameset targets

Post by carolynmwallace »

I'm guessing this may be more of a computer setting issue rather than a Flare issue. The computer may be set to open files in their native programs where available--so your XLS files are opening in Excel and your DOC files are opening in Word. PDF files, on the other hand, are designed to work with browsers.

Silly question: Is there a reason why these files have to be in their native formats? Why not convert them to PDFs to begin with?
HelpTrog
Propeller Head

Post by HelpTrog »

No. Not a silly question. I guess I was hoping to avoid additional steps in the process.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

General rule of thumb, anything you don't want the end user to be able to edit, give to them as a PDF. More work for you, but A) makes it harder for the end user to try to pass your work off as their own, and B) the user can't modify the file and claim you gave them bad information.

If there is a situation where your users might want to download an Excel spreadsheet, then include the .xls file, but make sure it's saved in the lowest common denominator format. That is, don't save it as Excel 2008 (or whatever the latest version is) -- save it as Excel 2003, because a lot of people still use that version of Office.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.