Unable to search index below first level

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Buckhorn
Jr. Propeller Head

Unable to search index below first level

Post by Buckhorn »

I delivered a large WebHelp system with maybe 300 entries in a two-level index. My customer noticed that searching the index, using the search box above the index, only finds matches in the first level.

For example, if the index contains these entries (--- indicates indent):

file
---saving
---opening
settings
---application
---user

then searching the index will find "file" and "settings," but not "saving" or "user."

I suspect this is a limitation in Flare's WebHelp code, but thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a workaround. If there isn't one, then maybe the only alternative is to use the regular search to find topics containing the search term.

Thanks.

Bill C.
AudreyC
Propeller Head

Re: Unable to search index below first level

Post by AudreyC »

Hi Bill,

There is also a search utility (look for the magnifying glass icon) that will pick up level 2 entries and below.

However, if they don't want to use that, I seem to have an inadvertant work-around for this: double up your entries :)
The reason I do this is that some people may be searching for the concept (file) but others will only be looking for the related tasks (opening) so that for the same items as you list, I'd have:

Application
---Settings
file
---saving
---opening
Open
--- a file
Save
--a file
Settings
---application
---user
User
-- settings

I also follow two rules to keep the number of necessary entries to a minimum: 1) stick to singular forms whenever possible, 2) stick to the imperative form of the verb.
Audrey Christophory
Technical Writer
Realtime Worlds