Using Prior Project as Prototype

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
koehj
Jr. Propeller Head

Using Prior Project as Prototype

Post by koehj »

Recently, I completed a Flare WebHelp project. To meet the requirements of the company format, I had to do lots of customization of the skins, template, etc. I now need to create a second project, with exactly the same appearance, target, layouts, style sheet, etc., but totally different content.

What's the best way to do this? I'm sure it's quite simple, but I want to be 100% sure that I don't endanger my original project and that the second project is identical. Revising the content won't be difficult. I'm just concerned about the other features, as they took a long time to set up properly.

Sorry about asking such a basic question, but I appreciate your advice.

Joan
Adrian Durand
Propeller Head

Re: Using Prior Project as Prototype

Post by Adrian Durand »

Hi Joan,

The simplest way to do this is to create a new folder with the new projectr name, then from your original project folder copy all of the subdirectories and paster them into the new folder.
The result is that the same files / folders will exist within two differently titled folders.
The next step is to rename the .flprj file which will be in the root of the new folder you have created.

That will make the project unique, but identical to the original.

NOTE: Please ensure you check the Output and Publishing folder settings in the new project so the original project does not get over-written in any way.

Kind Regards

Adrian
nfberg
Propeller Head

Post by nfberg »

What I've done is created a project with out actual text but with all the required files such as the style, master, conditions etc that other projects for the same client require. There was either a thread on that in here or it was in the MadCap documentation on how to do this. All skin, css etc changes are made in that one project and then imported into new projects. The only problem I've run into is that changes are not dynamic. The changed master copies need to be re-imported into each project.

A feature request to ripple changes to all linked projects has been submitted.

Edit: Found it...I had created this thread asking the same basic thing http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 995#p46995
koehj
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by koehj »

Thank, folks. This is exactly what I needed!

Joan