Using absolute path for madcap.js files?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
tekwrtr71
Propeller Head

Using absolute path for madcap.js files?

Post by tekwrtr71 »

Hi all,
Thanks again for your help while I learn the more technical aspects of Flare and Webhelp.

Currently, the madcap.js files are referenced via relative path names for the Skin elements.

For example, in the Search.htm file in the Skin folder:
<script type="text/javascript" src="../Content/SkinSupport/MadCapUtilities.js">
</script>

However, in looking at my Help_CSH, I see an absolute path:
<script type="text/javascript" src="Content/SkinSupport/MadCapUtilities.js">
</script>

Is there a way, without having to write an external script, to make everything use absolute paths? (Will my output blow up if I just edit the html and fix it myself after each time I build my help?)

Another alternative that the developer is asking about is whether there is just one top frame that can be loaded instead of all the individual Skin elements that must all load the .js files. Is there such a thing?

Thanks,
tekwrtr71
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Using absolute path for madcap.js files?

Post by LTinker68 »

Not sure why the developer needs to know that or why you need absolute paths since the developer shouldn't need to call them all directly. The default.htm and default_CSH.htm files are the frameset files. When you launch one of them, the frameset calls the necessary scripts.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
tekwrtr71
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrtr71 »

Lisa, to anwer your question, it's because our boss wants to mask all the URLs for security purposes, which means the developer has created a servlet for the help.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Ah. Well in that case, bear in mind that you might not call of the Javascript files initially in the frameset. Some are added when you add certain features, so if you add one of those features after he initially sets up the servlet then he'll have to modify it later. On the other hand, the Javascripts are always included in the output folder, so he can probably set it up to just hide all of those files in that folder location, even if you're not expressly using one of the files.

Lisa
tekwrtr71
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrtr71 »

Thanks, Lisa. I don't think I will be adding any features, since I've got the design of the help looking the way I want it.

So, are you saying that we could just pick some place to keep ALL of the .js files and not have them load with each page?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

They're all being stored in the output folder under \Content\SkinSupport. That's where Flare is set to load them from, so you should keep them there. Whether or not they're being used by a specific topic depends on if that topic has a reference to that file. Some of the JS files will be called in the frameset, like the glossary, favorites, search, etc., because those support the accordion buttons and associated panes. Some others are called by topics, I think, although to be honest, I haven't done an intense study of which frameset/topic files call which JS files.

But the JS files at least are all stored in the same location relative to the frameset file(s) in the root of the output folder. As long as you keep them in that location you should be fine. Test it, though, since I'm not sure what your programmer's script will do to the access permissions to those files.

Lisa