Doc-to-Help Conversion Very Slow

Postby amygil on Thu May 11, 2017 9:41 am

I have a new problem with Doc-to-Help and I can't figure out what changed if anything to cause it. Maybe Word did a minor update but I'm not sure. My document conversions can take 1/2 hour or even an hour if it's a long document. These are documents that used to take 10 minutes at the most. The slow down seems to be right after "Converting lists to text DONE" appears on the Output tab. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know of a fix?

I am using Doc-to-Help 4 and Word 2016. It's possible that some slowing down occurred after updating to Word 2016 from 2010, but it didn't seem like it was this bad until just recently.
amygil
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Doc-to-Help Conversion Very Slow

Postby SKamprowski on Fri May 12, 2017 2:33 am

Hi amygil,

I'm afraid that there is no such fix, except there is a not-mentioned fix in SR1398 which was published a few days after first release 1396.
If you suspect conversion of lists to take longer:
How did you implement lists in Word, means do you use C1H-bullet etc. or Word's own lists?
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Postby amygil on Fri May 19, 2017 8:04 am

I used Words own bullets. I could try changing to C1H and see what happens. What is the difference?

Though it seems the list conversion is done quickly and it's the step after that that is the slow one. I'll try it again to confirm and also try it using C1H bullets.
amygil
Jr. Propeller Head

Postby SKamprowski on Mon May 22, 2017 6:55 am

Hi,

what's the next step named?
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Return to Doc-To-Help General Discussion