Upgrade to D2H 3

Chainware
Propeller Head

Upgrade to D2H 3

Post by Chainware »

Hi,

Somebody upgraded already from D2H-V2 to D2H-3 ? Im interested in the (possible) problems encountered. Would be nice if we share our experiences.

Sjouke
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Upgrade to D2H 3

Post by SKamprowski »

Hello Sjouke,

welcome to the new Doc-To-Help Forum, it's nice to meet you again!

I'm not aware of any problems, IF you've edited your sources with a Word version 2007 or newer.

Templates created with 2014 V2 will continue to work, still I recommend to move to the new D2H-templates: This is the most simple way to use the new property for title picture.
For templates created with older D2H versions I have not yet tested much.

So far, I know that only one German customer had some minor issues with upgrading their themes. We found a workaround for them, so that they can use their themes again.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
Chainware
Propeller Head

Post by Chainware »

Hi Sabine,

Nice to meet you too!

So have you 'experienced' for example that a modular NetHelp system still works after upgrading, and that the project file structure is still the same (I mean same sub folders and same files created; no files have been removed?).

Thanks in advance
Sjouke
petr
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by petr »

Hi,

I noticed that the new version no longer includes the HTML editor. I have one special rather bug xml file created only to use the widgets.
Will those still work if i edit/add more widgets in another HTML editor ?
This is quite critical for me to know before trying to upgrade.

Regards,
Petr.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Sjouke,

Meanwhile, I found a modular NetHelp help project that I upgraded to D2H V3, first upgraded the modules, then the hub project. The result looks ok, has the same file structure as non-upgraded project, at first glance.

Hi Petr,
I modified an xml file in a D2H V3 project with a text editor, the resulting targets show the changed contents. In order to add new xml files you may try the following steps
1. add a Word document to your project,
2. convert it to xml
3. modify documents properties in the project and / or the contents with an text editor.
Still, I recommend to stay with an older D2H version if you want to continue working with D2H with xml source files, unless you have other reasons to upgrade.

Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Chainware
Propeller Head

Post by Chainware »

Thanks Sabine for testing the modular NetHelp. I will schedule the upgrade for the first week of December!
Chainware
Propeller Head

Post by Chainware »

Hi all,

I successfully upgraded (and also converted to .docx) 2 large modular NetHelp systems of about 15 NetHelp projects each.
In addition, I also copied customized styles from the 'old' Word-templates to the new templates. No problems at all; everything is working fine!
One remark: in this version of D2H, customized Word-templates which have the same name as the original ones, will be overwritten every time D2H is started. So no backup folder will be created anymore.

Sjouke
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Sjouke,

I cannot replicate your issue. Still, I also observed some odd behaviour with new template, means those which names begin with D2H, which I cannot replicate either. Can you tell me, please, which template you modified, what you changed in that template and where you did not get the changes you expected (in a new project or in an existing one).

Kind Regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Chainware
Propeller Head

Post by Chainware »

Hi Sabine,

I modified the original templates D2H_NORM_A4.dotm and D2H_PRNORM_A4.dotm: I only added Word-styles to it. Folder: C/users/.../Microsoft/templates/
The point is that every time D2H is started again, these 2 templates have the original 'modification date' (30-09-2015). So my guess was that the templates were overwritten by the templates from the MadCap installation folder. However, when creating a new project with these templates, they do have the customized styles......

gr Sjouke