Margin Note makes build crash

Phill
Jr. Propeller Head

Margin Note makes build crash

Post by Phill »

Hello,

I am working with Doc-To-Help v3 now for 2 weeks and every time I try to add a Margin Note to one of my documents in Word (Microsoft Word 2010) and try to build a NetHelp 2.0 the build aborts with the Errormassage "Fatal Word Error occured: The selected area is not part of this document or this article".
Did anyone else have this problem and did anyone found a solution other than not using Margin Notes?

regards
Phill
Adsy
Propeller Head

Re: Margin Note makes build crash

Post by Adsy »

Hey Phil,

I never use them, but I found this page which may help. Or it might be what you are doing and is giving you errors, in which case I am not helping at all.

http://publicfiles.componentone.com/D2H ... _Notes.htm
Phill
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Phill »

Hey Adsy,

in fact the page describes exactly what I'm doing and what is giving me the error.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,

I tested Margin Notes with D2H V3 and could not find any issues. In order to find out what causes the issue in your environment I suggest:
1. Try it again in one of D2H's sample projects, in you document folder, not the installation folder of D2H.
I assume that this works as expected.
2. Next step is be to move you source documents into the same sample.

This should help to figure out whether the issue is in your project or in your document.

The other way to get a similar result in online help target is to use inline text as pop up. Still handling in manual is different.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
Phill
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Phill »

Hi Sabine,

I tested to create a margin note in one of the sampleprojects and it worked without problems, but when I imported my own document into the testproject the build crashed again with the same errormassage as before the moment when D2H started to build my document.

regards,
Phill
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Phill,

So, I assume you have created the document with an older D2H version, probably older than version 2014 x.
I suggest to control the template that is assigned to your document, and compare it with the template that is attached to the document that does not cause errors in the same project. If it's something starting with C1... I suggest to attach to it the same template that is shown as source template. I cannot say whether it is necessary to remove the margin note that causes the issue.

Please keep us informed whether your old margin note works - when document is attached to the project's source template or whether it is necessary to remove it and create a new one.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Phill
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Phill »

Hi Sabine,

I created the document in the newest Doc-To-Help version and both documents are using the exact same template. Therefore I can't really see why it's working with one but not with the other.

regards,
Phill
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Phill,

let us try to find out the cause(s) of your issue in common. I still hope to get it fixed without looking into your project(s).
Since I could not replicate the issue in my environment, I have more questions...
1. Which is the template's name you are working with in your source document?
2. Which name is shown as source template in your project?
3. What's the result if you create a new document in the sample project with a margin-note?
4. What's the environment for your D2H V3: Word version, OS name and version, IE version?
5. Was any previous D2H version used in the same environment, if yes, which one?
If no. 5 is answered with yes or you don't know...
6. Could you try to install D2H on a different pc, and repeat the test? Activation is not neccessary for this test.

I do not ask for curiousity, I want to find out what is happening in your environment, to help you, and MadCap, and other D2H customers.
If you have a maintenance plan, you may prefer to forward the sample project with your added document to MadCap support. I suggest that you best reduce the source documents in that project to two:
The one which contains your modifications with a working margin note plus the document with the non-working margin note.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Phill
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Phill »

Hi Sabine,

I too hope to find a solution for my problem so here the answers for your questions:

1. I am working with D2H_NOMARGIN.dotm but also tried D2H_HTML.dotx (No difference there)
2. The same as above
3. It shows the same errormassage as in my project
4. Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 Version 14.0.7165.5000 (32-Bit), Windows 7 Professional service pack 1 and i am working with firefox 44.0.2
5. yes a D2H v2 testversion was installed
6. sadly I don't have any other computer on and on which no D2H v2 testversion was installed

regards,
Phill
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Phill,

Let me try to summarize:
1. In a sample project delivered by MadCap you are able to add a margin-note to some paragraph in a Word document that also comes from MadCap.
You can compile a NetHelp from this project, and in the result you see the popup that's been generated by D2H.
2. Yet, when you add a new document to the same sample project and repeat to add a margin note, compilation stops with an error message.

Please correct me, if in the list above I did any conclusions you could not confirm.

This looks somewhat strange.

BTW: I would not expect a compilation to run successfully with source template D2H_HTML.dotx. So, please continue with D2H_Normargin.dotm as source template!

Are your D2H installation, your projects and your templates ALL stored locally?
Is D2H V3 installed at the same location as D2H 2014V2 was installed??

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Phill
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Phill »

Hi Sabine,

Your summarie is correct and yes it looks very strange.
Yes everything is stored locally and D2H v3 is installed at the same location as D2H v2 was

regards,
Phill
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Phill,

I am puzzled, do not know whether to suggest to repeat your D2H installation. If you have a Bronze Maintenance Plan or purchase of your license has been within the last 30 days, I suggest to contact MadCap support.
If you could reduce the sample project to two documents, one with the working margin note, another with a non working margin note, and clear media folder, I assume that you can zip that project and publish it in the forum.
Before you make the zip file, I suggest to clear also the temp and target folders and do a REBUILD. It should not produce a good result, otherwise our discussion has been useless.
Yet, that will give a TEMP folder with the log file of your last compile process. TEMP folder should be included in the zip file.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Phill
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Phill »

Hi Sabine,

after a couple of days without working with D2H I now restarted the project again and somehow the newly created document in the sample project which included a margin note worked. I then tried to import my document into the project but there the error occured again. But when I copied the content of my document excluding the titlepage and the TOC into another new document it worked again. So I think the problem lies with the titlepage even though it just consists of a graphic and the Title.

kind regards,
Phillip