"Compile error: Can't find project or library"

Blork
Jr. Propeller Head

"Compile error: Can't find project or library"

Post by Blork »

I'm evaluating D2H 3 and I started by creating a new project. I don't have content to import, so I thought I'd begin by creating an empty project, and blank Word files, and then copy and paste in some content from our existing help files (so I can compare).

I followed the steps and just before the empty Word file is created, I get the following error:

The MS Visual Basic window appears, sohowing "D2H_NORM - D2HGlobalConstants (Code).
Inside, the line "strBuffer = Space (255)" has the word "Space" highlighted.
A popup from "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications" appears, saying "Compile error: Can't find project or library."

(See screenshot below.)

After I "OK" the popup, and dismiss VB, the VB message "This command will stop the debugger" appears. When I OK that, the empty Word file appears and everything seems normal (I think; since this is my first time using this, I don't know.)

Then I tried importing a Word file that had content. The same VB error occured, AND the progress bar on "Importing <file name>" went to 100% but stayed there until I OKed the VB stuff, after which the progress bar finished and the Word file appeared.

Any idea what's going on?

UPDATE:

I'm now trying to compile a small project with three topics. That error pops up (and stalls everything until it's dismissed) three times during compile.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: "Compile error: Can't find project or library"

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,

I am sorry to say that your D2H installation seems to be not complete*. Please take a look at your Word addins. It ought to show c1d2h_author.dot and c1d2h_engine.dot. I attach a screenshot with my global addins. Let us know, please, when your Word addins don't show them.

* Completion is achieved after first successful start.

Sabine Kamprowski
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
jalexander
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jalexander »

I have been using D2H for a couple months now and just this morning I got that same error. This can't be just an incomplete installation issue as I have been using it already with several projects. Any idea what would cause that issue suddenly after successful use?
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,
What happens when you open a document in one of MadCap's samples, via the sample's Documents pane ?
Can you compile all targets of a sample provided by MadCap Software?
Do you any idea what might have been changed in your environment after your last successful work with D2H?
Do you have more than one Word version installed?

Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Having a guess here.
Is it possible they have been disabled? Sometimes Word decides to do that - you have to go into Options and re-enable those add-ins.
For example, my adobe PDF plug-in regularly gets randomly turned off
- I choose File Options > Add-ins and scroll to the Disabled list.
word-disabled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
jalexander
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jalexander »

I ended up doing a reinstall. For now that has fixed it. I will try your other solutions if it crops up again though. Thanks for the input!
Rob Diaz
Propeller Head

Post by Rob Diaz »

This actually just started happening to me as well after having used Doc-to-Help without this problem for many, many months. Now I'm going to reinstall it to see if that fixes it but it makes no sense that it would just suddenly start to do this. What causes it?
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Rob,

perhaps it's some patches from Microsoft that causes your issues. Please contact MadCap support to get it clear.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Rob Diaz
Propeller Head

Post by Rob Diaz »

Well, reinstalling Doc-to-Help did not fix this for me. Nor did reinstalling Word.

What fixed it was reinstalling Windows, then installing Doc-to-Help and Word (etc.). Whether it was a Microsoft patch or not is unknown (and honestly, I see it as unlikely, given that we manage those updates and hadn't applied any before this started).
UlrikeD
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by UlrikeD »

Hi all,
I have the same problem since before X-mas... out of the blue. I completely reinstalled D2H, including the templates. Still the same :-(
C1D2HAuthor.dot is in my list of disabled Add-Ins, but I see no option to enable it in the MS Word Options.

Is reinstalling WINDOWS really the only way??? This seems a bit radical...

Thanks for any ideas on this,
Ulrike
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

UlrikeD wrote:...
C1D2HAuthor.dot is in my list of disabled Add-Ins, but I see no option to enable it in the MS Word Options.
File tab > Options > Add-ins
Down the bottom there is a selection list labelled "Managed". Select "Disabled Items" from that and click Go...
You should then be able to select and Enable an add-in.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
UlrikeD
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by UlrikeD »

Hi,
thanks for your response...
I was already on the right track but missed to select "Word-Add-Ins" form the Managed list in the first place, therefore I was not able to see C1D2HAuthor.dot :roll: .
Got it now :-)

Thanks a lot for your help,
Ulrike