"Fatal Word error .." and "Error saving as web page"

dartrite
Jr. Propeller Head

"Fatal Word error .." and "Error saving as web page"

Post by dartrite »

Hi group
I'm using Doc2Help version 3.0.0.1217 to create Compiled Help from a large Word document (25 MB, just over 700 pages).

Up to now I have had no problems, but today experienced two issues that might be related. Previous versions of this document have compiled without issue and this version has quite small changes.
The source document has Track Changes off and all changes accepted. After updating the fields there are no "Error! Reference source ..." errors.

First time I got this message: "Fatal Word error occurred: Path not found" followed by a link to this non-existent web page "http://our.componentone.com/groups/doc- ... rkarounds/".

The error occurs almost immediately after the Output tab reports 'Converting lists to text', around 8 minutes into the run.

I then removed the Table of Contents and made a few minor changes to the Word file, mainly formatting.
The run lasts for around 17 minutes, getting past the "Converting image map pictures" stage and then crashes with an error "Error saving as Web Page - file error".

First time I have ever seen these errors using Doc2Help in a few years.

I suspected my project file, but importing a much smaller Word document into the same project successfully produced a CHM file.
I then used the Word file from the previous version of the large document mentioned above and this successfully produced a CHM file.

Consequently, I suspect my Word file has some corruption, but any ideas what to look for would be gratefully received.
I am going to try a round trip from docx to xml and back again, but thought I would post now as I need to have a solution in a few days time as I need to deliver a CHM file to my client :-)

Thanks in advance

Stuart
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: "Fatal Word error .." and "Error saving as web page"

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Stuart,

after reading your report I agree with your opinion that the problem is probably in your Word document. I hope you have an older version of the file that can be compiled! Start with this and do all changes that are necessary step by step, compile between each step and save the files temporarily. So you may find the cause of D2H problem so that you can report to MadCap or share with us or finish your changes without seeing the problem again.

If you don't have "too many" Word cross references in your document and not "too many" properties you added to topics in your project file (instead of in your source document) you can also try to isolate the issue by cutting the document into smaller pieces in order to isolate the issue.

I assume the issue to be located in a list formatting or in an image.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
dartrite
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: "Fatal Word error .." and "Error saving as web page"

Post by dartrite »

Hi Sabine
To be honest, I started with a version of the Word file that I knew to be good and re-entered the updates. Maybe not the quickest or best way to do it, but it now works.
Like you, I suspected a list corruption.

Sorry I could not be of more help in tracking this down.

Regards

Stuart