Common content?

jetboy2k
Propeller Head

Common content?

Post by jetboy2k »

We have content that is common to multiple documents. The documents are, in turn, used in their own projects.

Is there a way to have one instance of the common content (i.e., as its own document) and then bring it into multiple documents in other projects? So, for example, there might be four documents that contain this content, and each of the four projects would be set up to pull the content from the common content project and insert it into the other project documents?

We publish to both HTML and PDF, so the solution would need to work for both output formats.

Thanks.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Common content?

Post by SteveS »

Have a look at global project linking...

Allows you to control content for reuse in multiple projects in one convenient location.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

SteveS wrote:Have a look at global project linking...

Allows you to control content for reuse in multiple projects in one convenient location.
Steve, our friend is a Doc-To-Help user, not a Flare user. Do you know, does DTH have a global-project-linking-esque feature? Maybe our resident DTH expert Sabine knows?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Oops :oops:

Looking at a whole heap of new post and didn't notice it was D2H...

From what I can see (and hopefully Sabine will chime in) you can import word documents into your D2H project. When you do you have the option of moving the document to the current project or leaving it in its original location. I would imagine this allows you to keep a library of 'standard' material that can be used in multiple topics.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hello,

Steve is right, with his advice to share documents in several projects. If jetboy2k or any other DocToHelp user wants to re-use parts of documents, no matter how large or smal they are, in more than one document they can do this by variables. A document with Rich Text variables should help to share them with other projects.
Please keep in mind that keeping documents outside the project folder may restrict D2H's team support features.

Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)