Settings lost

madlen
Jr. Propeller Head

Settings lost

Post by madlen »

Hi,

I just updated D2H from version 2014.2.0.943 to version 3.0.0.1217.
The default location for d2h projects is c:\tfs\dokumentation
My user-defined themes location is c:\tfs\dokumentation\doc-to-help
I use windows 8.1 with word 2013.

I first created a new project with one empty word file in it. After this I changed the source and target templates to my own ones and built this project. That all worked fine.
I then wanted to change the theme to my own theme I used for years. The theme was last updated in January 2015.
D2H found theme and jquery, but not the settings file. When I look in windows explorer all files are listed.
When trying to add a new settings file named settings.de-de.xml, I got this message:
Cannot save settings: ENOENT, no such file or directory
‘C:\TFS\Dokumentation\Doc-to-Help” -createbackups
-port:1339\NetHelp2.0\themes\Diamant\settings.de-de.xml

Strange as well is, that d2h doesn’t even find its own setting files for the standard themes Tab and Accordion. It says “The file does not exist. It will be created automatically once its settings are specifies.”
First I also could not create a new theme. This I can do now. And then there is a settings.de-de.xml. When building the project with this theme, d2h threw the message, that it could not find the settings.en-us.xml and the build failed. I then copied the file from my old theme and the build worked.
But in the built NetHelp the buttons don’t work. And I can’t change that, because I can’t edit the settings. Whatever I choose in the Theme Designer, I can’t edit any setting, because I don’t see anything in the right area of the Theme Designer. When I open the xml in Visual Studio it looks ok.
Where is the problem here? Does anyone have any idea?
Since I have to build and deliver our next documentation quite soon, I’d appreciate a fast answer.

Thanks a lot,
Madlen
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Settings lost

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Madlen,

does D2H V3 show the same user defined theme location as your old D2H version?
Then it might help to change its location, at least temporaly, create a new theme in this new location with the theme wizard. Then copy your old theme to that new location. If images are missed in your theme, you may need to copy the images folder, too.
When your theme has been upgraded to current version and works fine you can remove your old theme location c:\tfs\dokumentation\doc-to-help resp. copy your COMPLETE new D2H themes folder to the old position, and change location path in D2H once again.
This worked well for me, yet I do not have my themes in TFS.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
madlen
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by madlen »

Hi,

all settings of D2H V3 are the same as they were in the older version, yes. The user defined theme location als well. And they always worked fine.

I changed the theme location and tried to create a new theme. With this I had the same problems like before: the spinner whirls around and nothing happens. I can't create a new them.
When I changed the location, D2H took all the themes of the old location to the new one. This included my theme. I deleted my theme and tried again to create a new one. That did work, but with the same effect: I cannot change any settings, because ther are no. See attached screenshot for that.

I appreciate any other suggestions.
Best regards,
Madlen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Madlen,

Actually, I cann't reproduce your issue with a message similar to what you published.
Cannot save settings: ENOENT, no such file or directory
‘C:\TFS\Dokumentation\Doc-to-Help” -createbackups
-port:1339\NetHelp2.0\themes\Diamant\settings.de-de.xml
You further wrote:
When I changed the location, D2H took all the themes of the old location to the new one.
That has never happened in my environments. D2H only copies the Theme files that came with its installation to a new location. And I experienced that it's best to start with the "Theme wizard" in a new theme location.
Well, sometimes, it takes some time and restarts, until D2H shows more than the spinner in Theme Designer after changing its location, and some old themes might stop working at all. ;)

You might have some customizations in the German settings of Diamant theme, maybe settings were changed long ago, otherwise there would not be such a file in your theme folder Diamant.

Sorry, I can only suggest to start with a new theme, based upon current Tabs and edit this step by step until it looks "the same" as your old Diamant theme.

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
madlen
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by madlen »

Hi Sabine,

I created the new theme in the new location based on the Tab theme. I just used "my" jquery. And it still did not work.
And even in the new theme location, after I deleted my old theme, D2H doesn't find it's own setting files of the Tab and the Accordion theme.
I tried to reproduce this behaviour with a sample project. First I could not, I saw the settings and could edit them. But when I open the sample project now - and I didn't change anything - I can't edit the settings any more.
It really is quite strange. I would understand, if only my theme doesn't work, but the standard themes also don't work.

I now report this as a bug. Maybe this will help.
Nevertheless, if you have any other idea or there is another user or emplyee of madcap who has any idea, i'd really much appreciate an answer soon!

Thanks a lot so far,
Madlen