topic heading styles

JulieB
Jr. Propeller Head

topic heading styles

Post by JulieB »

Hi Folks,
I have a large Word document (368 pages). It is fairly well formatted, with proper Heading1 and Heading 2 styles applied. I want to import it into a fresh DTH3 project. However, I only want the Heading 1's to create topics. I don't want the Heading 2's to be separate topics. Is there a way to tell DTH that you only want H1's to generate topics? Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: topic heading styles

Post by BedfordWriter »

The question does make sense, but you might be missing out on something valuable here.

I haven't used DocToHelp since 2011 so I don't know what the import feature looks like these days. I'd assume that with a bit of effort you can get to where you want to go, even if that's by creating an empty project then copying and pasting chapters.

But, one of the biggest reasons why I switched from D2H to Flare is the joy of keeping all my topics in separate files. I use H1 for every title, then let the TOC assign the correct heading level at build time. Everything about managing my projects is easier this way. Give topic-based authoring a try before insisting on staying with a document-centric viewpoint.