Different text type diaplayed in different web browsers

LisaSchiele
Jr. Propeller Head

Different text type diaplayed in different web browsers

Post by LisaSchiele »

Hi,

i'd like to know if the following bug in my D2H version (2014v2) is fixed now and can be avoided when purchasing a software update.
After compiling my Word-files, the output can now be displayed in verious web browsers. The text that is in text types such as Wingdings and Segoe UI can not be displayed correctly in Firefox and Opera, but is correct in the IE, Edge etc. As I use wingdings for certain icons in my documents, these are now not displayed correctly in Firefox & Opera.
Further information on this matter are e.g. to be found here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7862 ... -and-opera

Please do not teach me on changing the text type; it is prescribed by our management team and cannot be changed. I'd just like to know whether or not the latest D2H-version will fix my problem! Thank you :)
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Different text type diaplayed in different web browsers

Post by Nita Beck »

(Caveat: Although I'm an MVP on the forums, I'm not a Doc-To-Help expert...)

Given that you are contemplating purchasing an upgrade, perhaps you should download the latest trial version of D2H (perhaps on a different machine than your production machine) and test its output to see if the problem appears to have been resolved. You might also discuss the issue with your MadCap sales rep.

(Sabine [the MVP with D2H expertise), can one have more than one version of D2H installed on the same machine? I know that is the case with Flare, but don't want to assume that is the case for D2H.)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Jack Konings
Propeller Head

Post by Jack Konings »

Hi Lisa,

I tested Wingdings, Webdings and the like in the latest version of D2H, 4.0.0.1398.
In IE and Chrome they display fine, not in Firefox.
As I already suspected, and as you can read in the various topics on internet, this is a 'strategy' of Mozzila. Doc-To-Help cannot do anything about this, Firefox will just not render these 'non-standard' fonts.
You will have the same issue with any html-based help system, website, html page etc. in Firefox.
I do not know if you need to use these fonts frequently. If not, then you could opt to use images instead of standard text where required.
Sorry not to be of more help.

Best regards
Jack
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,

Nita, DocToHelp now allows only one version installed on a machine. I suggest to use another machine for evaluation, if you are not sure whether you have to return to a former version, especially if the former version is not from MadCap. This is not the case of Lisa Schiele, since she already uses a MadCap D2H version.

A question to all D2H users:
I am pretty sure that there is or at least was a way to embed fonts in NetHelp.
Does anybody remember how that was done and whether it will work in FireFox?

Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
Jack Konings
Propeller Head

Post by Jack Konings »

SKamprowski wrote:Hi,
A question to all D2H users:
I am pretty sure that there is or at least was a way to embed fonts in NetHelp.
Does anybody remember how that was done and whether it will work in FireFox?
Hi Sabine,

I guess you mean @font-face
This css-tag will also work in nethelp + firefox. However, even then I'am afraid this does not help for wingdings and the like.
The mozilla-documentation states clearly for embedded fonts:
"If you use downloadable fonts, please make sure the fonts have the right Unicode mappings and the content uses the right Unicode characters."
This is not the case for wingdings and webdings etc.

Best regards
Jack