Broken Links

alpaca
Propeller Head

Broken Links

Post by alpaca »

I've been using Doc to Help for many years, and have many hundreds of links / cross-references in my source documents. I use the D2H "link" function to create these links, and they've worked fine through many versions of D2H and Windows.

Today I noticed that ALL of my links in one very large document are broken. This is quite devastating, as I have hundreds perhaps thousands of links.

Fortunately, it applies only to one of my several large source documents. They links in the other docs seem fine.

A normal link looks like this:

SBX_RUNDIR|topic=SBX_RUNDIR

I shown with underline that which appears as hidden text in Word. Also, the whole phrase above is in green text.

Now, all the links like that above which should be both green and be hidden text are neither: the text is just regular text in the Word document, and shows up as regular text in the D2H output (Nethelp).

Obviously, I can re-create all the links. This should only take a week or two of full-time work.

Does anybody have any ideas about how I could somehow revive or resuscitate the existing link text?

Needless to say, I'll be hugely thankful for any suggestions.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Broken Links

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,

Which version of DocToHelp do you use now, and which Word version?
The green color is normally a hint that the text has the character style C1H Jump, the following hidden text is the target of this jump (link).
You may be faster with re-inserting of your links if you simply mark the link source (i.e. SBX_RUNDIR) and "apply style" C1H Jump to it. The hidden information (|topic=SBX_RUNDIR) is not necessary IF (!) the marked text is exactly the same as the topic title that it should link to (as in your sample SBX_RUNDIR|topic=SBX_RUNDIR).

BTW: "Apply style" from D2H ribbon or from Words style drop down list can be repeated by pressing F4.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
alpaca
Propeller Head

Re: Broken Links

Post by alpaca »

Thank you very much, Dr. Kamprowski. As always, your help is right on target and much appreciated. Your suggestion was just right and worked for me as you said. I had to completely re-link those where the text and the link were different, but the rest worked great. Thank you again.