Double-click on project (d2h file) opens Word instead of D2H

richpit
Jr. Propeller Head

Double-click on project (d2h file) opens Word instead of D2H

Post by richpit »

I've noticed in recent weeks that double-clicking the project file (d2h) in Windows Explorer now opens Microsoft Word and not the Doc-to-Help program, as it used to do.

I'm running D2H version 5.0.0.1518.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's not a deal-breaker but it's a little annoying.

Thanks,
Richard
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: Double-click on project (d2h file) opens Word instead of

Post by trent the thief »

Hi Richard,

You'll need to reset the file association in Explorer to point .d2h back to D2H. If your IT installed a patch or runs group policies, they may have "restored" an association that was broken in their eyes.

Right-click on a file then open Properties. Click Change and then see if you can set the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." If it's not enabled, you'll need to get IT or administrator involved to set it.

If you can set it, choose D2H as the app, then make sure the setting is selected and click OK.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
Jack Konings
Propeller Head

Re: Double-click on project (d2h file) opens Word instead of

Post by Jack Konings »

Hi Richard,

This behavior is standard in V5. .d2h is still associated with the DocToHelp.exe, but will start Word (I thin\k with the first document) when double-clicking a project file. Quote from the help:
------------------
Most Doc-To-Help authors will work exclusively in Microsoft Word when developing a Doc-To-Help project. All Doc-To-Help functionality is integrated into Microsoft Word, so there is usually no reason to go outside of Word.
However, if you have Doc-To-Help projects that use HTML5 source documents, those projects must still be managed through the Doc-To-Help program. To access the program, double-click on the Doc-To-Help.exe file in the following location in Windows Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\DocToHelp.
------------------
So, it is still possible to work in the 'old' D2H user interface, but Madcap assumes you will work in Word.

Best regards
Jack