Fatal Word error occurred: The remote procedure call failed.

StigJ
Jr. Propeller Head

Fatal Word error occurred: The remote procedure call failed.

Post by StigJ »

Hello. Here at work I am compiling Word source documents into manuals and I am using the Word/PDF output target as well as the HTML (.chm) output target. I am using D2H version 4.0.0.1396 from 2016, Word 2016 (16.0.5227.1000) 32 bit and Windows 10 Enterprise (10.0.19042).

The issue I have is only related to the .chm output target; I can build the Word/PDF output target without problems. When building the .chm output, I get the message: Fatal Word error occurred: The remote procedure call failed. Additionally: The RPC server is unavailable.

I have narrowed the root cause of the problem down to being arrows and lines drawn on a canvas in a Word source file (see the attached picture if you want). But I have been able to build the .chm output target before (in June this year) with the exact same file which is now giving me the problem. I can duplicate the problem using other source files that have the same types of arrows and lines drawn on a canvas, so it’s not “one bad file”.

I am thinking something must have been changed somewhere; I’m guessing an (automatic) update in Word or Windows, as I have not updated Doc2help. To see if it would fix the problem, I just had a repair run of the Office package made, but the problem persists. The original now “problem” files are .doc files; changing the name or the format to .docx does not change anything (but if I remove the before mentioned arrows and lines drawn on a canvas all is good).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance folks.
Stig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Fatal Word error occurred: The remote procedure call fai

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Stig,

I'm sorry for my late reply, and sorry once more, I don't understand your last picture with the arrows.
The error code is not self explaining. I assume that it's something with your templates.
I suggest to do the following:
1. create a new project, based upon one of the appropriate templates provided by MadCap in their dropdown list.
2. Compile its simple contents, i.e.
chapter 1 (H1)
Topic 1 (H2)
Insert your text here. (Body text)

If that works without any problems, assign your templates to this project (one by one!!) and see whether it still works.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)