Capture button is off the screen--how do I access it?

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
Centauri27
Sr. Propeller Head

Capture button is off the screen--how do I access it?

Post by Centauri27 »

I've decided to resume trying Capture after having abandoned it the last several years. I encountered one thing immediately that is most baffling: when capturing a region, there is a floating toolbar that contains the "Capture" button plus some fields where you can enter thew dimensions of the capture. However, this toolbar only "floats" in the context of your selection region--you cannot move it on its own. When I select a larger capture region, the capture button gets pushed off screen and there's no way to "click" it to complete the capture!

I must be doing something wrong, as this cannot be by design. Can anyone tell me how to move the capture button freely about?

Thanks.
Carl
CATERAF
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Capture button is off the screen--how do I access it?

Post by CATERAF »

As far as I know this is an issue common to many.. but as for a solution, I don't have one sorry. I'm in the same boat. I would submit a bug report/feature request. Alternatively, contact tech support and ask them if they know how to resolve it.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

Hi Carl,

I made a simple try and it works fine. If I set the region to the complete screen, the button appears within the borders of the region. Otherwise it will be outside.
Do you work with an older version perhaps?

On the other hand:
If the picture so large that the button moves outside the screen, then why not use Capture Window or Capture Full Screen instead of Region?
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
CATERAF
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by CATERAF »

DocuWil wrote:Hi Carl,

If the picture so large that the button moves outside the screen, then why not use Capture Window or Capture Full Screen instead of Region?
I'm not sure about Carl, but I found that I can't capture a region at the very bottom or very right-hand side of the screen. If I'm close to the bottom the button appears within the region border but at the very bottom of the screen it's gone.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

Still I have no problem.
If I just take a region and then move that region over the screen to the bottom and sides as far as possible, the button automatically jumps inside or outside the region border as appropriate.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
Centauri27
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Centauri27 »

I got an answer from MadCap Support and you won't believe the reason: The "capture" button can be pushed off-screen if you have your Windows display set to greater than 100%!

So, everyone running at 100% will not encounter this problem. Those of us who find 100% to be too hard to read (I have mine set to 125%) are out of luck when it comes to using Capture (to do screen snaps at least)!

Unbelievable. :!:

I downloaded the new Flare 10 hoping there would be an updated Capture that fixes this egregious design flaw--but no luck: still the same old Capture 6, with the same deficiency.
CATERAF
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by CATERAF »

Thanks for finding out an answer!
I have my windows display set to 125% too which explains why I also had difficulties.

As a side note, I've found that many programs are not compatible with 125% screen resolution. E.g., the toolbar icons become blurry. A definite area for improvement would be to use relative sizing rather than the absolute many seem to.

Thanks again for finding out :-)
Centauri27
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Centauri27 »

I've encountered very few programs that have problems with 125% magnification (however all bets are off when it's greater than that). Those that do have issues are just mainly visual glitches like you mentioned--icons a bit blurry; occasionally text getting truncated within a dialog. But I've never seen such a functionality failure like Capture! (And I don't think they'll give much priority to fixing it now that they're giving it away with Flare.)
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

SnagIt all the way for me...
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
MLTucker
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by MLTucker »

Hi all, :capture:
I am a total newbie at Capture and my company has just started using Flare for the first time a few weeks ago. I just could not find the button when I was trying to do a large capture. Not full screen but very high from top to bottom. The button was hanging off the bottom evidently.

This is not at all useful. I have a lot of near-full screen captures and I cannot reduce my monitor view. Is there a way to get the button to default to an area outside the red frame, but still visible on the screen, that is, a user modifiable way? Or a keyboard command to capture the selected region? I'm sure it could be coded that way...
Cheers, MLT
Mary Lou Tucker
maryloutucker@getzclinical.com
Adelaide, South Australia
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Hi MLT, welcome to the forum.

Just to confirm, is your screen set to more than 100%? I know you said that you can't reduce it, but it helps to clarify the situation.

As a workaround, are you able to use the full-screen or window hot-key capture modes? (You can also select them from the File > New Screen Capture menu.) These modes will capture a screen region without needing the red button. You might need to do some cropping after, but just a thought.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
MLTucker
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by MLTucker »

Thanks atomdocs.

I am using 125% because I can't see it otherwise...

Swapped over to 100% for a bit and I can see the capture button. This is less than ideal though because I really need to work at 125% to be able to see anything on my laptop. I accept that I need to get my prescription reading glasses updated as well!

As a workaround I can just capture whole screen and crop as you suggested. Or capture regions in Snag it and use the capture editor if I need to do callouts and the like on my captured images.

Thanks again! MLT
Mary Lou Tucker
maryloutucker@getzclinical.com
Adelaide, South Australia
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Hi MLT - understood. And of course, this is an issue with Capture. Using 125% is your prerogative, and Capture should support that (but it doesn't). Rob Hollinger confirms that there is an update to Capture scheduled, but I don't know when it will be available, or whether it will fix this issue. Hopefully a bug report has already been submitted and it will be fixed in the update.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Is this still an issue in Capture 7? The Release Notes on the KnowledgeBase aren't clear.

TIA
BadMichael
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by BadMichael »

Yes. I'm still experiencing it with Capture 7.0.0.
RecPerch
Propeller Head

Post by RecPerch »

Sigh. April 2018 and no updates to Capture. Kinda disgraceful. The newest SnagIt is pretty cool, but I sure wish MadCap would update Capture.

Anyway, here's an FYI for people using a 2nd monitor with their laptop. When I have a second monitor, the 125% resolution of my laptop monitor affects the second monitor!! This translates into the capture crosshairs being way off, making it extremely difficult to capture a region on that second monitor (until I changed the laptop to 100%).
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

A related bug is that if you have two monitors, and you do a capture on your second monitor, then later, while working on your computer with no second screen attached, you try to re-capture the screen, Capture tries to put the re-capture window on your non-connected second monitor, so you can't capture anything.

I do wish Capture would get some more programming love.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

kmacdowe
Propeller Head

Post by kmacdowe »

I too am experiencing the same problem in MC 2018.
Gav74
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Gav74 »

Looking at this thread and considering how long it's been going on, this is really quite disappointing, not to mention frustrating.
However, I've found a workaround that seems to work for me.
On my monitor screen (with laptop attached), selecting an area is impossible - it never captures the actual area that I select.
On my laptop screen, the selection seems to be OK, but the capture button is off screen - this is the workaround. On the keyboard, tab then return seems to do the trick. Tabbing the focus onto the capture button, then selecting it with the return key.
I hope that is some help to the rest of the frustrated users. I was just about to give up and go back to the Windows capture utility!
Maurizme
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Maurizme »

I was looking at MadCap Capture to go along with my Flare for screen shots. In trying many, many times to get it to work, my capture button is hidden, too.
I set the screens to 100% - that's a challenge on my eyes, but so was the text in this forum. This text is SMALL!!

In any case, setting it to 100% isn't a foolproof fix. I have three screens set up and even though I was capturing on the main screen, I didn't see the button.

This is a fundamental flaw in an otherwise sound product. SnagIt gets this right - you can capture regions flawlessly.

But then again, the tool for which I'm attempting to capture images is a web-based application. That means a whole host of other things. I still don't know if I can use this product for my screen captures.

Thank you,
Maurizme
jimireal
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jimireal »

I too am also experiencing this (I think).

It makes the program basically unusable.

I cannot run @ 100%....I have a 4k screen on my laptop.

It shouldn't be too difficult to fix or do we just need to stop using Capture....makes editing pretty cumbersome.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

I found using Capture baffling and then realised the button was missing. I can't believe after so many years that this is still an open bug?

P.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I have also basically had to stop using Capture since I have a 4k resolution laptop, where by default everything is scaled to 200% so it is big enough to see. But my attached monitor is only 100%, which is pretty confusing to Capture. But Snagit does fine. (And I have been a *big* proponent of Capture over the years.)
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Perhaps using keyboard shortcut keys may help some users - I use two monitors, window resolution is 100% and I was having the same issue so rely on shortcut keys, until I find a better solution:

To capture the full screen:
CTRL SHIFT F

To capture the window including its frame:
CTRL SHIFT A

To capture the window without a frame:
CTRl SHIFT C

To capture a region from the window:
CTRL SHIFT R
Newbie to MadCap Flare