double objects on image when modifying an image

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
mitches
Propeller Head

double objects on image when modifying an image

Post by mitches »

We are getting an extra set of objects on images and have to go through several steps to be able to modify an
image created using a new process.

It is important to be able to modify images from version to version. Maintenance of the products is very important to us.
We've had no problems updating/modifying images from one version to the next in the past.

In the past, a simplistic approach was taken. A new person who is more experienced in photo editors has joined the team and has come up with a new process.
The new process is listed after our current process.

What is being done to make the images have an extra layer of objects? What needs to be done to get rid of the extra layer. If the image is created with the new process, every one gets the extra layer when opening it.

The process being used by team has been:
1. Capture > Capture Region (or use Auto Scroll)
2. Select a Capture Region and Press 'OK'.
3. Set backgound to dark gray.
3. Outline the image with a rectangle making sure there is a border of background around the image.
4. Add callouts, rectangles, arrows, etc. and enter the appropriate text.
5. Insert Captured Region and sometinmes Add Images.
6. Save the image to a .png file. The .prop is generated as part of the save.
7. When the image is opened for future editing, it is the same (no extras) as the original image and can be changed directly.

The new process bracketed below.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Steps to produce the double image in MadCap Capture - one with all the visual objects and a background image:
Capture > Capture Region
Select a Capture Region and Press 'OK'.
Within MapCap Capture
=======================
Double click the Untitled.bmp* image to display the File Properties
Make the following changes to File Properties:
1. Set Image Effects > Background Scale to 0.9
2. Set Appearance > Fill Start to Black
3. Set Appearance > Padding to 3 pixels and Copy Down (this creates an image with a uniform 3 pixel bounding box)
4. Edit > Copy (Ctrl + C) the modified image.
Select File > New to create a new (blank) image. Accept the MyProfile.capro dialog and Select 'OK'.
Double click the new (Untitled1.bmp*) image to display the File Properties
5. Set Appearance > Fill Start to a Light Gray (RGB value = 192,192,192)
6. Set Appearance > Padding to 5 pixels and Copy Down.
7. Paste the modified image from Step 4 onto Untitled1.bmp*
8. Position the pasted image at (0, 0) - this should place it 5 pixels from the edge
9. Double click Untitled1.bmp* and make the Canvas Size equal in width and height to the pasted image
Save Untitled1.bmp off as a PNG file and Close. Close the other images without saving.
Reopen the PNG file.
What's seen are 2 images one on top of the other, the first with the pasted image as an object layer (capable of being moved or resized as a MadCap Capture Object, etc). Beneath it (on the canvas layer) is a duplicate image that can't be manipulated. This happens regardless of the number of visual objects.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: double objects on image when modifying an image

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Sorry I can't offer help in finding the source of your problem, but I have had the same thing with a particular drawing I created in Capture. I didn't notice until I copied the file and edited it that I had a hidden duplicate image underneath, which I could not interact with or delete.

My quick fix was to delete all .props as well as image files and create similar versions by copying elements of the main drawing onto blank canvas and saving them just once, rather than to copy and paste the whole file, then try to modify.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I'm sorry, I missed the point of why you have such a complicated process for inserting screen shots into your help system? This seems quite complex -- more complex than intended by the Capture/Flare integration.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

kathryngz
Propeller Head

Post by kathryngz »

I had the same problem with double objects, one of which was flattened and the others not. As I tried different things, here's what I discovered:
  • The problem only happened with png files. I couldn’t replicate it with bmp or jpg files.
  • The problem only occurred when doing a Save As the first time when saving a new image. When I did a regular Save (Ctrl-S) the first time the problem didn’t happen (even though it sent me to the same dialog where I had to specify the filename and file type, since the file had not been saved before). Also, once I’d done a regular Save, Save As didn’t cause the problem.
(I was doing Save As the first time because my profile didn’t specify png as the file type, so it defaulted to bmp. But even when I specified png as the file type in the profile, the problem still occurred when I used Save As to save the file for the first time.)

I was able to replicate this problem several times, so I'm going to report a bug.

Kathryn
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I think that "Save As" DOESN'T create the .props file, so it automatically flattens the image, including call-outs, etc.

With Capture, it actually doesn't matter what the file type is on your system. In the properties for the capture, you can tell it what file type you want the image to be in for online output, as well as for printed output. So you don't need to worry about saving images as .BMPs on your local system.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

ethan11james
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ethan11james »

when i change the server of my website all of images are gone even i carefully backup my whole site but not able to see pictures