Pictogram alignment issue

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Oda
Propeller Head

Pictogram alignment issue

Post by Oda »

Hi,

Here's my concern:
I have two outputs (html5 and pdf). I wanted to apply specific pictos to list styles and Note style and I've been advised to create p.bullet and p.Note styles. Ok.
The thing is, everything displays fine in html5 output, as shown in the first two screenshots. To have a correct display, I've used a background-position-y value.
bullet_ok.PNG
note_ok.PNG
In PDF, I can't get a normal behavior. Pictos are either too high or too low compared to the text and background-position-y does nothing but hides the picto!
bullet_wrong.PNG
note_wrong.PNG
Please, enlighten me with this point as the issue has been bothering me for a quite a long time now.

Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Pictogram alignment issue

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I'm lucky not to have to use other than default bullets, but it's a big pain in the rear end. I got round it in a previous job by having a table to contain the picto in the first column and the text in the second. To adjust the height of the pic I highlighted the image and applied a sub-script or super-script adjustment. A big fudge, but it kind of worked. And I had the notes etc as snippets that I inserted into the topic and then converted to text so I could add the note.

Hope that helps, in case you don't get a "proper" response.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Post by Msquared »

The background-position attribute is buggy. :-( The only ones I could get to work are the % ones. So background-position: 50% should work, but then it will be relative to the centre of the paragraph, not the centre of the first line, which I assume is what you want.

What I've done is used background-position: top left; which does work, and then hard-crafted all my bullets to have the correct amount of white space above them so that they line up correctly. This works well, although the amount of white space will need to be changed if the font size changes.

Can I encourage you to report a bug? If enough people report it, it may get fixed.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
Oda
Propeller Head

Post by Oda »

Thanks for your answers, I opened a request to the support, but no answer yet.
If not, I'll try your workarounds but having already spent much time with the designers, I hope I don't have to "hard-craft" the bullets or make a table, cause all my lists work this way and it would be very epic to handle.
Thanks anyway, I'll report the support answer in this topic.
Oda
Propeller Head

Post by Oda »

Ok, so, Madcap support confirms that PDF doesn't handle background-position values properly.
The workaround is to adjust your p.class styles using padding-top and margin-bottom values. (Don't hesitate to put negative values for padding-top if needed). It worked for me, hope it will for all those who encounter the same kind of issues.
Also, I submitted a feature request to have more flexible ul/ol/li styles, so that we can insert custom bullets and not have to deal with those p.class styles. I encourgae people to do the same when meeting this issue.
Good luck!