Stack overflow at line 17

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
sarrants
Propeller Head

Stack overflow at line 17

Post by sarrants »

That's what I get when I open the Skin Editor. So far I'm not having any problems. What's going on??

flareerror.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The things that we plan and measure are the things that get done.
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Re: Stack overflow at line 17

Post by sdcinvan »

Hello,

To obtain quality assistance, you really need to provide a lot more information (though, the screen capture is a good start).

Please include:
- Flare version (version 9?)
- When did this problem begin
- Was anything recently changed (i.e. Windows updates, other programs installed, etc.)
- When you say, Skin Editor, do you mean, from an open project, you go to: Skins folder, open skin (which type? Default or otherwise?), In preview mode?, Styles tab?

Some initial suggestions:
Try a different project (or start a new project) / skin, do others work? You might just have a corrupted skin file (you do make regular backups, right?)
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Post by sdcinvan »

Two tips....

By all means, please post your issues in this forum but sometimes, you can find your answer quicker by using Google search.

When I did a Google search for: madcap flare skin "stack overflow"

I found this:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 13&t=18762

It may not help but I am just posting this as an example (for anyone who might find this tip useful)

Finally, Dave Lee posted a specific Flare search plugin for Firefox here: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 13&t=15919
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

This is a bug; I get this error the first time I open the Styles tab in any HTML5 skin (using Flare v10).

MadCap support confirmed it as a bug, affecting people using IE9.
MadCap support wrote:I've done some additional research, and it looks like this bug is related to the skin editor and IE9. If IE9 is installed on the machine, this message appears when first accessing the Styles tab, but does not affect the build or skin editor in any other way.

Please note that I have added your information to an existing Bug Report 86468 with our development team and you will be notified via email if a fix for this is included in a future patch or release version of Flare.
shannong
Propeller Head

Post by shannong »

Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit. With IE9: exact bug described in OP.

I can confirm that upgrading from IE9 to IE11 fixes this particular issue.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

does it onlky occur with this ond skin? What happens in a new project?
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

If the fix is to move to IE11 then I strongly suggest to go that path. IE9 is really only an option when using Vista. Since nobody in their right mind uses Vista the only two Windows versions that are current and Win7 and and Win8.x. Both run IE11 and there is little reason to use anything else if it has to be IE. IE9 will remain supported for Vista until 2017, but that date is coming and it will keep coming 'faster', so starting efforts now to move both production and customers to IE11 (and higher) are of necessity now.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Richard Ferrell wrote:does it onlky occur with this ond skin? What happens in a new project?
It'll happen in a brand new project/skin too; the error is displayed for each individual HTML5 skin that you open (and view the Styles tab).
RamonS wrote:If the fix is to move to IE11 then I strongly suggest to go that path.
Installing IE10+ might get rid of the error, but I think Flare's interface should be agnostic of whatever browser version you're using.
JohnB
Propeller Head

Post by JohnB »

IE9 is the only browser/version allowed here. In my experience, the Flare v10 Stack Overflow issue prevented me from setting the background image for the skin. The workaround was to edit the skin in Flare 9. I know that's not at issue here, but thought the info might help someone. - John
rekiwi
Propeller Head

Post by rekiwi »

Adding another voice to the chorus (Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit with IE9): I've got a dependency here on IE9. I can live with the error and I've got HTML5 skins working the way I need, but Flare crashes often when working HTML5 projects. Reminds me of the Bad Old Days of Word 95 or RoboHelp 2000.
smajors
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by smajors »

I use Flare 10 and still get this error in every skin I open. I'm not previewing anything in a browser, I'm just in the HTML5 skin editor so not sure what browser version has to do with the error.
Technical Writer
Training & Development Team/Marketing Department
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

smajors wrote:I use Flare 10 and still get this error in every skin I open. I'm not previewing anything in a browser, I'm just in the HTML5 skin editor so not sure what browser version has to do with the error.
As I mentioned above, MadCap confirmed this as a bug in Flare v10, when using IE v9.
hnoor0066
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by hnoor0066 »

thanks for sharing this
Both run IE11 and there is little reason to use anything else if it has to be IE. IE9 will remain supported for Vista until 2017, but that date is coming and it will keep coming 'faster', so starting efforts now to move both production and customers to IE11 (and higher) are of necessity now.
== Solitaire ==