Can't crop a new image

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
FrankyT
Propeller Head

Can't crop a new image

Post by FrankyT »

I want to crop a new image, but I can't.

Steps:

1 I created a new image (New > New from Profile).

2 I took a screen shot outside Capture, using the Print Screen button (because I wanted a menu option to be selected: a screen shot from Capture deselects everything).

3 I pasted the screen shot into the Capture image.

--> The Crop tool is greyed out. Why?

I'm using Capture V6.

Thanks,

Franky
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Can't crop a new image

Post by doc_guy »

I think this has something to do with the profile shapes, which is something I don't quite understand about Capture. I can validate that the problem occurs for me as well.

What I do is take the capture with Time Delay. That gives me time to select the proper menu option, which doesn't get de-selected by Capture when the image is taken.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

smoothing
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by smoothing »

It happened to me as well. I haven't figure this out yet.Therefore I turn to anotherimage cropping app, it works fine for me so far.Screen shot can be cropped at wished wdth and heigth.
PatW
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by PatW »

I can use the auto scroll to capture the image however I can crop it. My images in my application are wide as well as long. Using capture (V^) in the latest Flare version does not allow me to scroll down the page to the bottom of the image. I have to get out of Capture V6 and go back to my former version of Capture (V5) to do it. Very time consuming to me. I can seem to find any options in V6 that may have turned this feature on so it will work the way V5 does.
kathryngz
Propeller Head

Post by kathryngz »

The Crop tool is grayed out for me too. However, I was able effectively to "crop" the image by doing the following:

1. Double-click the image to display File Properties (or right-click the image and choose File Properties).
2. Click the Appearance tab.
3. Under Canvas Size, specify the desired width and height.

I'd still like to know why the Crop tool is grayed out, but at least I could easily make the image the right dimensions.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Hi, are you creating the image using the New From Profile function?

If so, that method doesn't allow crop, it only lets you change the canvas size, as you have discovered. But it won't let you reduce the canvas size below the dimensions of any objects you have placed. As an alternative, you can specify your desired canvas size in the profile settings before creating an image from the profile.

However, it might be best to create your image directly from a capture action (you don't need to create a blank image first), or using File > Open to open an existing image (any image, doesn't have to be a screen cap). Then you'll be able to crop the image.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
CATERAF
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by CATERAF »

I think this is what atomdocs was getting at, but just incase..

As far as I can remember, Capture won't let you crop an image that you've added to an already created/open image; you can only crop the original. Hence you can crop an image that you have opened, but not one that you copy and paste into an already open file.

I haven't got Flare or Capture open to test with, but I do remember having this problem many-a-time.
Dreamer
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Dreamer »

FrankyT wrote:I want to crop a new image, but I can't.

Steps:

1 I immediately started using Phen24 and created a new image (New > New from Profile).

2 I took a screen shot outside Capture, using the Print Screen button (because I wanted a menu option to be selected: a screen shot from Capture deselects everything).

3 I pasted the screen shot into the Capture image.

--> The Crop tool is greyed out. Why?

Thanks,

Franky
Mine is greyed out too. Hmm. I tried creating a blank image first but it's still greyed out.
Last edited by Dreamer on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:50 am, edited 7 times in total.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Hi Dreamer, welcome to the forum.

A blank image (from File > New > New From Profile) cannot be cropped. Whether this is a bug or by design, I'm not sure.

The 2 easy ways to work in Capture are:

+ Start with an actual screen capture that you create with Capture.

+ Open an existing image file in Capture. (This is useful if you prefer to use another capture tool - I think everyone uses Snagit - or it doesn't have to be a capture at all, it could be a photo or an illustration.)

Do one of these and you should be able to crop. Can you confirm whether that works? If not, we'll dig deeper.

[Update: Just to clarify what I mean for the second option above - don't create a blank image and then add your image file, just go straight to File > Open and select the image file that you want to use.]
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7