Expanding Header for Two Column Page Layout

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
asmith
Propeller Head

Expanding Header for Two Column Page Layout

Post by asmith »

Hello,

I am working in Flare V9.
I am working with Page Layouts, specifically the IndexResizable.flpgl template.

I want the Index to contain 2 columns. However, I want the topic title ("Index") to span across the page instead of fit into the two-column layout. I understand I will need to have 2 different pages set up for this Page Layout, one being for the title, the other being a standard two-column layout. I am having some trouble adjusting the columns to achieve this, though.
Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 4.55.46 PM.png
Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alli
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allison

MadCap Tools: Flare 12, Capture 7
Running on: Windows 10 32-bit, Parallels v12, macOS Sierra 10.12
asmith
Propeller Head

Re: Expanding Header for Two Column Page Layout

Post by asmith »

Resolved, so posting resolution here in case it might help someone else.

To create headings or pieces of text that span across the page instead of fitting into columns, there must be more than one body frame created within the page layout. Adjust the flow between the body frames so that the content flows down the page, and all should be well.

I'd be happy to expand on this if needed, but that is the gist. I wasn't aware another frame needed to be added.
Allison

MadCap Tools: Flare 12, Capture 7
Running on: Windows 10 32-bit, Parallels v12, macOS Sierra 10.12
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Just be aware that multiple body frames are not supported in Word output.

I think my solution was to have a topic that had just the header "Index" followed by a topic that had just the index proxy, and that second topic pointed to the index page layout with two columns. When it generated the print output, the second topic started immediately after the first topic, so it looked like one page in the output.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
CMatejka
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by CMatejka »

Each time I attempt to apply separate page layouts for each topic (using the TOC, Page Layout Break feature) a page break is inserted between each topic. This causes my one column topic to appear on the first page, the two column topic to appear on the second, and so on depending on how many times I switch from one page layout to another.

How were you able to make the pages flow together while using separate page layouts for each topic?

Thank you! :)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

The print output will automatically flow from one topic to another without any breaks, so it's the default behavior. The only reason you'd see a break is if you used a style to force content to a new page.

I also can't remember if I had two page layouts -- I might have just has a page layout with a Title page that was used by indexTitle.htm and a Normal or Left/Right pages in the same layout that were used by the indexContent.htm topic (which had the index proxy).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
olgad
Propeller Head

Post by olgad »

I have the same problem. And the "default flow" of the page layouts is somehow not applied to my project.
The index behave as follows:
1. Default one-column page layout for both heading and index
2. Two-column layout with heading displayed in the first column and index in two columns
3. Heading is displayed on the separate page in one-column layout and index on another page in two-column layout

None of the listed behavior corresponds to what is expected:
Heading in one column and index in 2 columns on the same page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angelabartz
Propeller Head

Post by angelabartz »

Olgad, what does your page layout look like? Or do you use multiple page layouts?

I maintain a separate page layout for my Index. My Index heading is a separate frame directly on the Title page [body1]. My TOC specifies this page layout with the title page as the start.

If you’re outputting to Word, then please refer to what Lisa suggests. I would still maintain a separate Index page layout. In the TOC, add the index topic that contains the heading only. Specify this as a Chapter Break, index page layout, first page type. Back in the TOC, add the index proxy topic after the index heading. In the printed output, specify Break Type: None.
-Angela
olgad
Propeller Head

Post by olgad »

Angela, you're just in time. I had two layouts, the only thing I did wrong was the top body of my Index heading page layout.
Now it's all right.

Thanks a lot for your help!
BrianBXYPRO
Propeller Head

Post by BrianBXYPRO »

angelabartz wrote:I maintain a separate page layout for my Index. My Index heading is a separate frame directly on the Title page [body1]. My TOC specifies this page layout with the title page as the start.
I was having issues with my PDF index and your suggestion fixed it. Thank you!

Brian
Flare ( :flare: ) v12, Windows 10