Mimic evaluation

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Mimic evaluation

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Hi,
I am starting to evaluate version 7 of Mimic and will also be reviewing alternative products.
Anyone able to advise me on the pros & cons of this version of Mimic.
Most of the posts on the forum remain unanswered, which gives me initial reservations. Are only a few out there using it?
I'm sure there wouldn't be spare budget to pay for support, so I want to ensure that I wouldn't be left floundering with something that doesn't quite compare to other products, e.g. Camtasia, etc...
All feedback very welcome.
Regards,
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Mimic evaluation

Post by SteveS »

I used a previous version of Mimic in another job.

I found it to be relatively quick and easy to use. We were creating a training version of some client/ server software. By mimicing the program interface, and opening the proper dialogs etc we could create a standalone version that didn't need the back end installed. Of course, clicking somewhere outside of my training program had no result (unlike the real thing).

Try it and see how you go...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

I am still using version 6 since last year.
This year the priority in my job is to create tutorials for customers.
For now we put these tutorials in the webhelp (Flare).
When I create the movies I make small ones. Large movies often end up being too long causing problems with creating the output.
Sometimes a memory error occurs, crashing Mimic. Regular saving my work is the go here.
I chose Mimic because I can use variables and conditions from my Flare project.

And indeed, the Mimic forum is not as popular as Flare, but after all less people create movies.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Thank you both for your comments.
Very useful and I am currently giving it a try out.
Regards,
Feebeegeebee
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
Cpocklin21
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Cpocklin21 »

We have been using Mimic V6 for about 6 months now and have created stand-alone simulation (then placed in Flare) and several large multi-lesson web-based training courses. From our Mimic lessons pages we are launching documents, action simulations, quizzes (built with iSpring QuizMaker) -- all with great results. (I just wish I could SCORM all pages instead of just the initial htm start page of each lesson. However, I am able to play all WBT content in our Cornerstone LMS with no problems.)

Just installed Mimic V7 and brought in some of the V6 simulation to start working with the HTML5 output. I am using Google Chrome to test output and seeing difficulties -- text bubbles running text way outside frame, frame pause settings being ignored, etc. -- basically dashing my hopes that this would be an easy conversion. I have yet to start from scratch on an HTML5 content piece, so will try that next.

I wish there were more folks posting Mimic information!

Carrie
schultza
Propeller Head

Post by schultza »

I am also doing evaluations of Mimic 7 to see if this is the right tool for our company. We are starting to think about generating quick videos that can be available on our client Web site, potentially uploaded to YouTube, and/or embedded in our help files.

It seems like HTML5 is the best output option to use (even if this means encouraging clients to upgrade their browsers.

Anyone have opinions of the output type that gives the best bang for your time?
elevaxcient
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by elevaxcient »

I would caution you on assuming html5 support. I've been beating my head in terms of the process of putting html5 support and it seems you need to add a third party encode to EVERY movie you're working on (http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... ons#p92327). This doesn't seem like great html5 support.
garybronson
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by garybronson »

Cpocklin21 wrote:... I am able to play all WBT content in our Cornerstone LMS with no problems.
We are looking into the integration of Flare and/or Mimic with a Cornerstone LMS as well. I know this is an old post but was curious of the results of your integration. Is the process a simple one or has it become easier as the Madcap software has matured?

Thanks,

GaryB