What are the steps to creating a PDF output?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
lramos
Propeller Head

What are the steps to creating a PDF output?

Post by lramos »

Hi,

I would like to create a PDF output using the content that already exists in my project. I need to know how do I begin. I started reviewing the User Guide, but it's a bit overwhelming and has a lot of information.

Here's what I like to do.

Use the content in my project to create the PDF output.
Use the PDF template in MCF to create the PDF output.
Change the styles associated with the MCF PDF template.
Save the new PDF template.
Can I import the Word documents that I have to produce the PDF or do I need to use the files that I have created in MCF?
Publish the newly created PDF within the Help system. How do I link to the PDF? Where do I save it? Do I need to create a new destination for the PDF?
Also, is there a way to generate the PDF on demand in other words when a user selects the Print icon? Or is the Print icon just for printing from the browser?

Thanks in advance for your help,

L
dorcutt
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: What are the steps to creating a PDF output?

Post by dorcutt »

Hi lramos,

For now, I'd say pick either PDF or WebHelp and work on getting that set up first. Flare is a powerful tool and there's a lot to learn. It sounds like you're just starting out, so there's no way anyone on the forum can can answer all the questions you'll have. If the main user guide is a a bit overwhelming, there are more targeted guides here. Based on your questions, I particularly recommend the "Getting Started" guide and the Printed Output guide.

The short answer is that you are going to need to add your content to a Table of Contents and then create a PDF output target. You can change the styles using the Master Stylesheet (also located on the Project tab).

You can import from Word using the Import icon located on the Project tab of Flare's ribbon, but it's recommended to make sure the Word documents are properly styled and have all page, section breaks, and autonumbering/multilevel lists removed. There will be some manual cleanup also.

Good luck, and welcome to Flare!
-Dan, Propellerhead-in-training