Capture Text

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Capture Text

Post by Techno »

A comment/wish in another topic was that Capture be more "Snag It-ish". I have to agree and have used both Madcap Capture and Snag It, finally settling on the latter.

However, one extremely valuable feature for many has been the demise of the List Text Capture feature in Snag It's latest version.

Does such a feature exist in MadCap Capture?

For those who may wonder why this is so valuable, it allowed the capture - in plain text - of things like the contents of scrolling selection list boxes. For example, we have one list which contains over 140 different language templates to chose from. Each of these requires additional information to be available, and such a capture allowed one to create the basic list in Flare, which is a huge time saving.
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Capture Text

Post by RamonS »

If this list exists on an HTML page you can grab the options from source code. If not, then ask the developer for the strings. No fancy tools needed. :wink:
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

Ask a developer for strings?! Are you kidding?

Perhaps in very extreme circumstances, but there are many times when either we need it reasonably quickly, or the developer(s) simply would lose such a request.

We quite often have to write simplified Help, in plain "teacher-proof" English, for what are otherwise seen as complex applications. Just another example where such a feature is (was) invaluable to us.

I'm clearly not alone given the responses on the Snag It forum.

George
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Techno wrote:Ask a developer for strings?! Are you kidding?
Actually, I was not. If things are done properly the tech writer should be in charge of the resource files anyway. I'm not the tech writer at my job, but work as QA analyst, but I edit and commit string changes on a regular basis in cooperation with the business analyst and tech writer. Besides that, each time I ask a developer I get the answer I need. For us that is the only way we get the product out the door and the customers happy. Roadblocking each other does not advance the greater good. I guess I am barking up the wrong tree.
As said, if it is a web app getting the strings is a piece of cake...desktop app is trickier.