Error found after extract PDF output from Madcap.

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
BuntitaC
Jr. Propeller Head

Error found after extract PDF output from Madcap.

Post by BuntitaC »

We used Madcap Flare 10.2 for generated PDF file with "Generate tagged PDF" tick-on and found error "An incorrect structure was found in the PDF file" when we try to extract PDF. We try to solve this problem by :

1.) Used Madcap9 to generated PDF, the PDF can be extracted without any error. But we found font for Chinese language was incorrect.
2.) Installed Acrobat pro and MS office 2010 to Madcap machine and used Madcap Flare 10.2 for generated PDF file with "Generate tagged PDF" tick-on. PDF can't be extracted.
3.) Used Madcap10.2 to generated PDF without "Generate tagged PDF", the PDF can be extracted without any error. But “Tagged PDF” is required by our client.

Could you please let me know is there another solution to solve this issue?
bgagne
Propeller Head

Re: Error found after extract PDF output from Madcap.

Post by bgagne »

Hopefully it's not too late for a reply on this thread.

I'm having the same issue with Flare 11. Tagged PDFs have an error in them when I try to further manipulate the PDF in Acrobat.

Specifically, I'm trying to delete some pages in Acrobat and I get the error "An incorrect structure was found in the PDF file". When I select the pages one by one and delete them (instead of deleting a range), I find that it's only certain pages that are the culprits. Most recently it was one (but just one) of the pages showing my table of contents.

My web team has asked for a Tagged PDF for SEO purposes, so that's why I checked this option in Flare. I've been giving them this tagged output for 1.5 years now, but I'm no longer convinced what I'm giving them is valid!

To work around the problem with deleting pages (which I was doing to make some small bundles to use Adobe's compare function), I re-tag the document from Acrobat:
  • * I'm using Acrobat Pro DC (2015 Release).
    * I used the Search Tools function (top right side of the page) to look for the term "tag" and found "Autotag Document".
    * I select that and let it re-tag.
    * It gives me a report about it's tagging process (which I frankly haven't investigated, but looks scary).
    * Then I successfully delete the page range I want.
I'm not sure if this technique is at all helpful for the issue you were having (that scary report might be a problem), but maybe it will give you an idea to try or will help someone else!

Cheers.
bgagne
Propeller Head

Re: Error found after extract PDF output from Madcap.

Post by bgagne »

FYI, following up on a tip I saw on this thread https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1481428 I decided to try taking OUT my OTF font. I went to the stylesheet and changed "body" font from Open Sans to Times New Roman (ugly, but good for a test). Suddenly the problem with deleting pages from the resulting PDF file was gone.

Looks like the problem is font related! Madcap, please help us create beautiful manuals with Open Type fonts!!