Using the feature Auto-size Capture objects to fit text

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
pelikano
Propeller Head

Using the feature Auto-size Capture objects to fit text

Post by pelikano »

If you have used this option are you happy with it?

I finally got around to giving it a try but the results in both help and PDF outputs are disappointing.

Some callout bubbles are unaffected, but others expand alarmingly. (All my callouts are in Capture.) I checked for hidden carriage returns in the callout text and there none.

For those unfamiliar with Auto-size, it is available in the build targets in Flare (Advanced tab > Output Options > Auto-size Capture objects to fit text). You can also find it in Capture (Bubble Properties dialog > Rectangle tab > Auto-size to fit text check box) where you can apply it to a single callout.

Flare's help describes the feature here:
http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... t_Text.htm

Whether I use it in Flare or in Capture, the result is the same: the bubble's shape is changed, going from a rectangle to more-or less a square, with a whole lot of white space added after the text.

Now, this is not what the help describes. I take it the whole idea is to automatically resize the bubble to accomodate a change of text. Like say, after your English callout text has been translated into German, often with a significant change in size that requires more space. This is what the recent Jennifer Schudel webinar suggested as well.

But when the text is still my original text, you would think that Auto-size would not change anything. Yet Flare and Capture both go ahead and do this strange expansion. Which seems to explain the following note in the above help topic:
Tip: It is a good idea to check the callouts in your output after using this feature to ensure the auto-sizing did not cause any problems, such as overlapping callouts or other placement issues.
At this point I have to say this reads more like a CYA on MAdCap's part. Yes it is totally reasonable that some tweaking will be needed after auto-sizing for translation, but when it's the original text? And even if used following a translation, would the sizing work any better?

Auto-size looks like a half-baked feature they put in for the marketing value.

Or have I misunderstood how auto-size is properly used?

Thanks
P.
Paulie
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Using the feature Auto-size Capture objects to fit text

Post by Paulie »

Hi there,

Did you follow this up with MadCap support? I have encountered the same issue as described above. I will log my own support case, but I was wondering if they gave you any advice or things to try.
"In an ideal world, software should be simple, well designed, and completely intuitive to end users. In the real world, good documentation is king."
pelikano
Propeller Head

Post by pelikano »

Hello Paulie;

No I did not.

They will say "We are creating a support ticket on your behalf." That's what they do.

I have abandoned this BS "feature" and will no longer attempt to use it.

Thanks for replying.

P.
Paulie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paulie »

FYI, I logged a bug and enhancement request as follows:

If the Auto-size to fit text option is enabled, the width and height of the rectangle changes (even though the text easily fitted in the original rectangle). Also, the resizing doesn't seem to take into account the alignment of the text when calculating how to resize (in my example, the text is bottom aligned, but the text box expands downwards, it should expand upwards)

Enhancement suggestion:
Maybe the user could lock certain sides of an object so that the resizing can only be in certain directions. This would give the user much more control about how their object resizes. Visually, something like how a WPF object can be anchored in Visual Studio would be cool and easy to use.

At the very least, the resize needs to respect the text alignment and resize in a meaningful way.

MadCap have confirmed that there is a bug (request number 105714) and they have also logged an enhancement request for the ability to control which way an object resizes (request number 105716).
"In an ideal world, software should be simple, well designed, and completely intuitive to end users. In the real world, good documentation is king."
pelikano
Propeller Head

Post by pelikano »

Hi Paulie.

Well done.

I note you posted this on a Sunday. You are one dedicated Flare user.

Thanks for your efforts.

P.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Paulie wrote:Maybe the user could lock certain sides of an object so that the resizing can only be in certain directions.
Hi Paulie and pelikano - I think this is possible: you can anchor an object in Capture using the Rectangle tab in the object properties dialog box. You can activate anchors top, bottom, left, or right, or any combination. I don't use the resize option in my projects, but I did some limited testing, and it seems that if you anchor the bottom of the object, the resize function respects this and resizes upward.

My callouts were also resized to square shapes from single lines of multiple words. I guess that this is hard-coded into the resize algorithm as the best footprint for the callout, so that it doesn't extend too far in any particular direction (which might extend it excessively over a more significant part of the image). I hope MadCap will address that - maybe with some more suboptions for the resize function. I tried to anchor top and bottom of a callout in which not all text was displayed. I was hoping the callout would squeeze out either side, but nothing happened. However, anchoring bottom + left or bottom +right (same with top) does seem to work.

I'd say give anchoring a go, see if helps.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7