HTML5 Search Field Auto Complete

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Ken Fredric
Propeller Head

HTML5 Search Field Auto Complete

Post by Ken Fredric »

I would like to hear from anybody who has implemented auto complete/predictive text/typeahead search functionality in HTML5 output.
With this enabled, when the user starts typing a word suggestions are displayed in a dropdown list based on the entered text.
I thought this would be a standard feature available in Flare.
There was a reference to this in an earlier thread here: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... ete#p95898.
I had a quick look through the customer samples and the only website I could find that has this functionality is Coveo (http://onlinehelp.coveo.com/en/CES/6.5/ ... r_Help.htm).
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken
Ineffable
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: HTML5 Search Field Auto Complete

Post by Ineffable »

Ken Fredric wrote:I would like to hear from anybody who has implemented auto complete/predictive text/typeahead search functionality in HTML5 output.
With this enabled, when the user starts typing a word suggestions are displayed in a dropdown list based on the entered text.
I thought this would be a standard feature available in Flare.
There was a reference to this in an earlier thread here: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... ete#p95898.
I had a quick look through the customer samples and the only website I could find that has this functionality is Coveo (http://onlinehelp.coveo.com/en/CES/6.5/ ... r_Help.htm).
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken
Based on the crickets, I am guessing that this feature will cost $499 (i.e., anchor feature in Flare v12).
sanjsrik
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by sanjsrik »

I asked about this. I also asked Madcap Support. This is "not supported" which baffles me because this aren't even live pages. These are static pages. When I found out that this wasn't possible, I was just simply floored at how unintuitive this non-functionality is. Anywhere a user goes on the web they can use typeahead searching except in the help provided with my company's web-based application.

I'll take a look at your solution, but I don't see any company shelling out an additional $500 for a feature that should be out-of-the-box as typeahead in search.

Quick question, what do you mean the anchor feature in Flare 12?

LOL, I think I found the same thread when I asked and looked this up on the forums. It's from 2009, and still no update after 6 years from Madcap. That has to be embarrassing. You can't tell your author-base that you've got the latest features that customers want when you can't do the following:
  • Move skin elements on the screen (top-nav skin has fixed search bar across the top, you can't move it into the topic frame)
  • No typeahead in search (come on, since 2009?)
  • No usable integration with git/hub (I've given up on this, I haven't gotten it to work once since I have been using Flare)
I find it even more funny that the search feature on the Madcap site has typeahead when you do a search but not the help output. Excellent marketing for a non-working feature.
searchworks.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

sanjsrik wrote:You can't tell your author-base that you've got the latest features that customers want when you can't do the following:
  • Move skin elements on the screen (top-nav skin has fixed search bar across the top, you can't move it into the topic frame)
Flare 11 supports including a search bar in the topic "frame" (Top Nav only) and, through CSS, one can hide the search bar from the top-nav area.

First, in the masterpage associated with the pages in your Top Nav target, insert a Search Bar Proxy where desired. This is a new proxy introduced in Flare 11. (For benefit of anyone wanting more info, see here: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... _Proxy.htm.)

Then, in the stylesheet associated with the pages, include this bit of code (or something like it) to effectively hide the search bar from the top-nav area*:

Code: Select all

.nav-search
{
	display:none !important;
}
*I got the idea for this from another forum post, here (kudos to jsandora): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21642

I just tested this in a Top Nav project I'm migrating, and it works.

HTH at least for this issue.

p.s. I agree that Flare's implementation could be better. One shouldn't have to monkey with the CSS to effectively hide something.

p.p.s. Sanjay, does this forum post offer a hint of a solution to your type-head search issue: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22046? Maybe Dave Lee can shed more light.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
sanjsrik
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by sanjsrik »

I love your approach. Only downside to this is my UXD guys opted for left nav. I wanted top-nav, showed them top-nav and they liked left nav. So, I am stuck with left nav but can't move the top-nav search box.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Hopefully, though, we can get your creative juices going to eventually find a solution.

Also, I just came across this salient post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21775

Also, did you see my p.p.s. above about Dave Lee's comment in another post about using Google Custom Search?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

sanjsrik wrote:I love your approach. Only downside to this is my UXD guys opted for left nav. I wanted top-nav, showed them top-nav and they liked left nav. So, I am stuck with left nav but can't move the top-nav search box.
Where do you want to move it to?

You could move it around inside the header area of a Tripane skin.
I've discussed customising the skin in this blog post: http://ukauthor.wordpress.com/2014/08/0 ... tml5-skin/

If you want a search box in your topic, and you know basic javascript, then you could create your own search control:
1. Create a form with an input box.
2. The action for the form would be to refresh the parent/top page using a CSH call. The URL would include the text from the input box as the search term; i.e. #search-<input term>. For example, this will open Flare's help and search for "madcap"
webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare11/Default.htm#search-madcap